E36 Knock Sensors

Stranger24

Hey guys

I have tripple check and changed both knock sensors which are brand new ones ( one wire is sheiled ground) and one is signal. The link g4 plug in does not read anything from the knock sensors.
Changed the tps lockout to 0 and tried all filters and still no reading.

I unplugged the knock sensors, hoocked up aligator clip multimeter to it and tapped it witrh spanner and voltage does change.
link e36 manual states it is on pin 69 and 70 and 71 is ground( see below). what I am i missing here?

I tried with filter in 6ghz( where it should be) and all other narrow/wideband ranges and nothing
see screenshot attached
image.thumb.png.6c62c14186236607a301c5802ec223c9.png

issue fixed, it was me not assignig the allocation tables.

how does link know out of the two sensors on the block which one is for the first 3 cylinder and other is for the later cylinders?

i unplugged one of the sensors and link still showed full reading from all cylinders. 

I guess it is from firing order which ECU knows what cylinder it is ? What is the downside of allocating two tables, one for 3 cylinders front and one for the ones at back. Currently I have one table per cylinder.

If it is firing order then is it fair two say having two sensors just makes the detection easier as ecu doesn't know which sensor is closest to what cylinder

You specify in the knock settings the "knock window" in which to listen for knock, this window applies to every spark event.  The ECU knows which spark plug it just fired so if it hears knock in the window just after the spark then it knows which cylinder the knock occurred in.    

Having 2 sensors fitted on a long engine gives you a better signal-to-noise ratio as the "microphone" in then closer to the noise source.  

13 hours ago, Stranger24 said:

What is the downside of allocating two tables, one for 3 cylinders front and one for the ones at back. Currently I have one table per cylinder.

This means if you get knock on a single cylinder the ecu will retard all 3 cylinders that are using the same trim table.  If you have 1 table per cylinder then only the cylinder that knocked will be retarded.