CAN Checked expander set-up

oversteer

Hi Adam, can you please assist with getting the can checked expander set-up in a G4X extreme, I have attached tune file, I have https://www.ptmotorsport.com.au/product/can-checked-mce18-with-connector-canbus-function-extender/ version and want to run things on the other side of the dash, mainly for cruise control(have an old school GM stalk that suits the car(48 Chev 3100) its just switches.

Can one of the Can checked outputs produce a Tach signal ?, other 2 outputs need to be cruise active light and AC clutch relay.

I also need digitals inputs - AC request, cruise on, resume accel, set coast, brake, nitrous arm... be nice to have all the 8 digital inputs and 9 Analog inputs configured so they can be used.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ypQwB5fE-_5Kyx_mVAZdKGqGY5-pm61/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Justin

• oversteer changed the title to CAN Checked expander set-up

I have set it up on CAN 2.  Note the MCE is set to 500kbit/s bit rate by default but the CAN lambda is 1Mbit, both must be the same to work on the same bus.  Probably easiest to change the CAN lambda.  To do this, power up ecu without the MCE connected, go to CAN devices > find devices and the lambda should be found.  Change the dropdown to 500Kbit and hit send.  Then go back to the CAN mode tab and change CAN 2 bit rate to 500Kbit, hit apply, ok, do a store, then power cycle ECU and lambda, it should then be working at 500K so you can plug in the MCE and it should work. 

MCE Analog 0-8 is Link CAN Analog 1-9.  MCE DIN0-7 is Link CAN Digital 1-8.  Link CAN Aux 1-3 controls MCE Aux 1-3.  The MCE cant do PWM/Tacho, it can only do basic on/off. 

48 Chev v1.6a.pclx

Right now all the DI's state they are active, if I use a 1K resistor to GND they go inactive, and active when I pull them to 5v

Is it possible somehow to get them to be inactive without the pulldown ?

Also the SET button is a NC switch(diagram attached, i'm not using any relays like that diagram), can the CAN DI be configured to be active when NO ?

Last issue is the Aux output's don't seem to work....runtime values show in CAN Aux1 goes on and off, but nothing changes on the MCE pin, tested with multi meter also and nothing low or high, tried all three aux's and pins... any suggestions

CRUISE DIAGRAM.jpg

1 hour ago, oversteer said:

Right now all the DI's state they are active, if I use a 1K resistor to GND they go inactive, and active when I pull them to 5v

Are the DI pull-ups disabled in the DSS software?

Also the SET button is a NC switch(diagram attached, i'm not using any relays like that diagram), can the CAN DI be configured to be active when NO ?

Set the multiplier to -1 and offset to 1 will invert the logic.

3HZNURe.png

Last issue is the Aux output's don't seem to work....runtime values show in CAN Aux1 goes on and off, but nothing changes on the MCE pin, tested with multi meter also and nothing low or high, tried all three aux's and pins... any suggestions

You might have to ask CANChecked to confirm the ID and format of the receive message for the auxes, their current MCE18 manual doesnt even mention the CAN at all for these outputs.  The PT Motorsport website does mention it but I noticed the transmit CAN on their website had some errors in it the other day so I have some doubts theirs is up to date.  Also it looks like only version 0.8 and later boards have the aux outs so possibly you have an earlier one. 

I emailed PT motorsport, and they do confirm that there is option in the DSS software for pullup on DI's that can be changed, I already made a resistor network and used a AN so the buttons work now !

Also he suggested making sure its sending on ID 0x640 (1600) at 100hz and the frame length needs to be 3, I changed this and now Aux2 functions as it should, however Aux1 and 3 get pulled down as soon as they are assigned to something and don't respond to on/off tests ! I assume there is still something wrong with frames !?

I do have this same version 0.8 MCE18 in my G4+ subaru, it worked when you did the can setup straight off and I'm using all 3 CAN Aux for fuel pumps fine; ;https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EudL9fx2WBCkz02MR3PEV51LB6A1Jl2w/view?usp=sharing

I have the G4X set-up like this.... CANAux2 works fine, but 1 and 3 have some sort of weird relationship, if I assign aux1 with 3 assigned it turns off !, but other wise doesn't respond.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L3r7nt5Enbb8pzat-zeKRrsGS1SGorqa/view?usp=sharing

I've tried duplicating the can set-up from the + to the x, but then no aux works !

9 hours ago, oversteer said:

Also he suggested making sure its sending on ID 0x640 (1600) at 100hz and the frame length needs to be 3, I changed this and now Aux2 functions as it should, however Aux1 and 3 get pulled down as soon as they are assigned to something and don't respond to on/off tests ! I assume there is still something wrong with frames !?

I suggest you contact CANChecked to get the correct info on the Aux message from the source.  The PT website says the ID 0x640 needs to be transmitted at 100ms which is 10Hz and nowhere I have seen says the frame length must be 3, in fact most CAN devices cant even generate a 3 byte frame so I doubt that is correct info.  Your G4+ set-up is using 10Hz and an 8 byte frame.  

The only thing different to the G4+ aux setup should be an offset of zero for G4X compared to -1 for G4+. 

Apparently this new device is different to the other can check expander I have, that's a  CFE18, this is the MCE18.

I got the DSS software hooked up and then rang Peter at PT Motorsport, he was very helpful and remoted into my laptop to confirm, with the 100Hz, 3byte frame and 255 multiplier we could see in the DSS software live data can messages were turning the Aux's on and off, however with a multimeter on the pins they were not changing, so it looks like a faulty board on Aux2 and 3, new one is being sent out from Germany.