1JZ Timing Complications

WZRD

Hello this is my first time using a link G4 and also tuning it for the first time myself but I can’t seem to pass a small hiccup that’s not allowing me to basically get the process going. When I initially go to set the base timing in the Trigger calibration window I try to sync it to zero but my timing mark is way retarted. So I already know with that I’m facing issues. I can’t really lock the timing if ecu commands one thing and the car does another. Before I installed car was running perfect so I know it’s a me thing. My question is I can’t just be adding numbers in the top box to lock the timing at 0. Example I have 15 degrees in the top box nothing in the offset trigger and my timing is reading 5 degrees which means I’m 10 off. This has been the issue I’ve been facing with and can’t seem to overcome. I always try to sync at zero to then lock at 10 to get my initial timing set but for some reason it’s just not happening. I’m aware once I leave the calibration window it goes to what the ignition table reads. But due to the car not being in timing it’s reading 10 degrees off I suppose. 

First off - make sure you're using a spark plug lead between the bottom of the coil and the spark plug for the timing light inductive clamp (direction of the clamp also matters) as clamping onto the small wires running to a coil aren't going to be accurate.  

Once you have the trigger calibration window open - timing will be fixed to the top value.  If yours is 15 now, you can enter 0 *then press enter* and it will change the fixed timing value to zero.  If the timing light is not matching change the next value down - trigger offset - by 5 or -5 and *then press enter* and see if the mark moves closer or futher from the desired position on the crank pulley.  Repeat and adjust this value until the computer and the engine values match or sync up making sure to *press enter* after every time you change the value or it won't actually change anything.

That is correct I’m hooking up the timing light currently and having no issues there! 

I did as you suggested while having the calibration window open and got it to sync to 15 with adjustments in the offset. Once I leave the window it makes a minor change. I check my runtime values and I see that the angle moves from 0-2 degrees and I am seeing the same thing on my timing gun. Am I making any improvements or still out of the ballpark ? The motor responds and revs how it should but still feel like it needs a bit more tinkering to be a 1:1 feeling. 

Once timing is sync'ed to match 15 with the window open, and you then close that window, all timing is controlled by the tune.  Syncing just makes sure that what you enter into a timing table is what timing you are *actually* running.  If it's not running how you want it's up to the tuner to make it run right at that point.  Adjust idle ignition values if that feature is turned on, and change values in the timing table as needed to reach the desired feeling/goal (aka tuning).