FuryX vs XtremeX

Datto_521

Hi all,

Looking at purchasing an ECU for a 13b RX7. In short I want the most overkill option possible as this is going to be the second aftermarket ECU in this car and dont want to upgrade again if I can help it.

The two ECUs (Fury/Xtreme) appear to be very similar so want to know if theres anything specific to decide between them?

Im looking to do as much data logging as possible, so at least 2x air/water/oil temp sensors, fuel/oil pressure sensors, 2x EGT, etc.

Also the Xtreme seems to have inbuilt CAN Lambda, does this avoid the need for the CAN adaptor thats sold separately, or is that just to do with voltage vs CAN signal sensors?

Thanks

Either can accept a lambda signal from an external wideband controller over CAN. The Fury has one built-in wideband controller so you don't need an external box if you will only have a single wideband channel. The downside is that you lose two ignition drivers and two analog inputs on the Fury to support the wideband.

Pull up the FuryX and XtremeX quick start guides and map your planned IO to the "Installer I/O Table" and see if either has enough on-board IO to do everything you need.

So looking through the IO tables either ECU should do what I need. Is there an easy decision to be made between them?

Im leaning towards the Fury with built in wideband right now as that seems to deal with one problem out of the box.

The Fury is $200 more than the Xtreme, plus you still have to buy the wideband sensor ($75+) and I do not see anything that says the Fury comes with the wideband female connector/pigtail, which is maybe another $18.

If you went the external windband route, you could do the Link CAN Lambda kit for $365 or if you're more cost sensitive, the 14point7 Spartan3 for $200.

So for an ECU and one wideband the Fury is about $2043. The Xtreme with all Link stuff would be $2115 or with the Spartan it's $1950. And with the Xtreme you have two spare analog inputs for additional pressures, temperatures, or knobs, plus two more aux outputs for controlling lights, exhaust cutouts, fuel pumps, wastegates, etc.

I went with the XtremeX and Spartan3, though I still managed to run out of analog inputs and aux outputs. :blink:

To confirm Laminar's comments, they are very similar ecu's, the main difference being built in lambda controller with the Fury.  That means some of the pins are dedicated to a lambda sensor so the Fury has 2 less ignition outputs and 2 less analog inputs.  Still plenty for the vast majority of applications. 

Both have all the same software capability and logging etc.   

I generally prefer the Fury as wiring works out simpler and a little cheaper total cost than an Xtreme + CAN Lambda, but it is usually more preference than any practical limitation.  

I would write a quick list of all your anticipated IO and see how it fits with those two ecu options.  There is also the Voodoo but that is quite a bit more $ and probably isn't needed in this case.    

Thanks for your help guys, this might seem a bit dense now but Ive never dealt with CAN before, just analogue sensors.

I already have a Bosch 4.9 sensor so seems like I need the CAN kit either way? Or is the choice Fury+CAN adaptor vs Xtreme with Lambda on an analogue input?

If its going to be CAN no matter what the Fury seems a bit more straightforward at least.

The Fury will let you wire the Bosch sensor directly to it without any intermediary boxes, no CAN device or anything else.

The Xtreme cannot interface with the sensor directly, you need a Wideband Controller to power and control the sensor. Depending on the Wideband Controller, it will send the O2 value over a 0-5V analog signal or digitally over CAN and the Xtreme can handle either way.

If you already have the sensor, the Fury sounds like it will work, you'll just need the sensor connector so you can crimp your wires onto it and plug in the sensor.