removing Link USB drivers

James Wingfield

I've tried to get my ECU to connect to my computer but it fails to do so. I've now removed all components of PCLink and anything else that is to do with the Link but I don't know how to uninstal the drivers fully. When i try to re-instal the drivers it claims tht they are already installed and that i should go to Add/Remove programs if i want to uninstal them. I have tried this but they do not appear in the list of programs i can uninstal. Is there anyone who could help me here as at the moment it looks like i'm going to have to format my computer in order to start again! Cheers, James

Did you plug in your ECU before installing drivers?

Are you using Windows XP or Vista?

If you answered yes to both of those questions then do the following:

Reinstall PCLink (using the latest version).  Then go to Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager.  Find any entries related to Link ECU that have an explanation mark beside them (Look under Ports (COM and LPT) and USB).  Right click on these and open the properties.  Find update driver and do what it tells you.

I'm told that the drivers were installed before i connected my ECU although i couldn't guarentee this as i wasn't present at the time. There is a chance that they were not originally installed correctly. I'm using Windows XP. I've since tried to re-install as much as i could and as part of that process, I've been to the device manager. I now have no exclaimation marks. If I try re-installing the drivers now I get a message saying that they are already installed and working correctly. However, when i try to connect to the ECU within PCLink (version3.35), it searches for the ECU and seems to connect as it starts to show data on the screen (fills in the various fueling tables etc) but as soon as numbers start to appear, it throws up 3 or 4 memory errors. I can't remember the exact wording off the top of my head but it is something along the lines of "trying to assign RAM to read-only memory" (I can find out the exact wording if it helps). After 3-4 clicks of OK the software replies with "Unable to connect" please check you ECU is connected and powered up". My ECU has connected correctly to my other computer (using version3.23) in the past so unless it's a bug with the latest version of PCLink, i'm fairly sure it's my PC. Any idea's? Cheers, James

just had the same problem i went to control panel add/remove programs find link usb driver file and uninstall. once removed plug the laptop to the link ecu install driver file fopund in pdlink folder and follow the steps and open pclink and choose auto in the connection tab. follow the steps and this worked for me

• 3 weeks later...

Use the Device Manager as described above to force windows to reassign the drivers to that device.  You will never need to remove the drivers. 

Even if the ECU was plugged in before the drivers were installed and windows assigned some useless drivers, you can still just do an update drivers in the device manager to fix the problem.  The other thing to check is that you havn't got two devices connected that are assigned the same com port number.