WRX9X Plugin ECU

h82lose91

Have an I/O question before getting 10 steps in and finding an issue.  This is installed in a 2002 USDM WRX.  Was wiring up fuel and oil pressure sensors to the tgv plugs only to find no tgv position inputs at the ecu, so I will be moving these to other 0-5v inputs. 

The motor currently in the car is a JDM EJ20x.  Which has intake and exhaust avcs.  Looking to wire this all up.  Does this ecu have enough I/O to do so?

Yeah this ecu has plenty of IO so will do that fine, you will just need to shuffle a few wires around to free up appropriate IO for the AVCS.  The "quad AVCS" engine doesnt have the front cam sensor for trigger 2 so I would move the bank 2 intake sensor wire from pin E9 to pin B1 trigger 2.  That will free up DI2 which can then be used for one of the exhaust cams, for the other exhaust cam I would use DI4 which is normally not connected in USDM cars (IC spray switch on JDM cars).   For the AVCS solenoids you need to use Aux 1-8 as these are flywheeled, the intake solenoids are already wired to aux 1&2, for the exhaust solenoids you could use aux 8 (narrow band o2 heater) for one and for the other the easiest option would probably be to move the CE light to one of the ign auxes on the expansion to free up aux 5. 

Ok this is what i have so far

Bank 1 INT CAM POS DI2

Bank 1 INT AVCS SOL AUX2

Bank 1 EXH CAM POS Trigger2(?)

Bank 1 EXH AVCS SOL AUX5

Bank 2 INT CAM POS DI1

Bank 2 INT AVCS SOL AUX1

Bank 2 EXH CAM POS DI4

Bank 2 EXH AVCS SOL AUX8

I copied the Exh Avcs setting from the newer quad avcs g4x base map.  Is trigger 2 ok to use for the exhaust cam position? I thought i could use DI3 but thats part of the main relay control.

On 6/4/2024 at 9:37 AM, Adamw said:

I would move the bank 2 intake sensor wire from pin E9 to pin B1 trigger 2.  That will free up DI2 which can then be used for one of the exhaust cams, for the other exhaust cam I would use DI4 which is normally not connected in USDM cars

The bank 2 intake needs to be connected to trigger 2 as I mentioned earlier, the other 3 cams can go in any order to DI 1/2/4.  Bank 2 is the lefthand side.

Having two issues. Tooth tolerance for Intake Cam Bank 1, Goes away when off idle.  And Exhaust Cam Pos Bank 1 i have no signal.   Confirmed wiring is good, new sensor, settings match exh cam bank 2.  And ideas?  This is a JDM EJ20X, we are running 3 wire usdm exhaust cam sensors, again no issue on Bank2 .

TGV Repin QUAD AVCS CEL 001.pclx

On 6/7/2024 at 12:58 AM, Adamw said:

Initially I had the quad avcs offsets put in and checked those and they were all almost identical. That cam I couldn't get values for, and assumed it was due to the no signal.  Triple checked the wiring. Even tied the 12v to the signal pin and confirmed wiring was good at the ecu plug.

Is it possible we just need to run the 2 wire sensors for these cams?

I have ran these motors in VA chassis subarus with stock ecu and access port and used the usdm 3 wire sensors with no issues in the past.

On 6/9/2024 at 2:55 AM, h82lose91 said:

Is it possible we just need to run the 2 wire sensors for these cams?

The factory sensors are fine provided it has the cams that match the sensors. 

Did you do the cam angle calibration? And while it was above 1500RPM and 40°C lockouts? 

Can you provide a log of it running above 1500 after it has had the calibration performed and a copy of the tune also.  

So triple checked the wiring. Running through the calibration it sets my exh bank 1 to ZERO teeth.  It should be 2 like bank 2.  After performing the calibration, those numbers are very close to the v11 quad avcs base map, so even tried putting those in for exh bank1 cam and still not happy.  Tested the sensor as mentioned in another thread it works and shows active when removed and touch metal to it.  Confirmed the same with two wire cam pos sensor.  

I've tried switching pull up on/off, rising/falling.  We looked down the cam pos sensor hole to the cam and cant see any damage to the cam.  We have 14v across the 12v and sensor grounds as well.  Have moved this sensor from di3 to di1 no changes.

Measure voltage on pin E9 to see what you have there.  Do it with engine off, ignition on.  Need to know both the high and low voltage so you can either just dab the starter a touch at a time until you see the voltage change or you can pull the sensor out and check voltage with both some metal in front of it and no metal. 

A DI needs to rise above about 2V and fall below about 1V, I suspect you will find it is not falling below 1V since it shows active, this would be an issue with the ground.    

Checked voltage, removed sensor, and saw 0 to 10.5v touching a screw driver to it, but i noticed it was inconsistent.  Sometimes when the driver removed it would still show 10v sometimes 0v.  Grabbed another sensor, and it didnt behave this way.  Only problem was the securing bolt spacing was slightly off from the other sensor. Slotted the hole bolted it down.  This time i also saw a voltage change while manually spinning the motor over. the other sensor didnt do this. 

New slotted sensor works.  Ran right through the calibration no issues or errors.

Now should i worry about the "tooth tolerance" issue at idle for bank 2 intake cam on trigger 2, or ignore?

4 hours ago, h82lose91 said:

Now should i worry about the "tooth tolerance" issue at idle for bank 2 intake cam on trigger 2, or ignore?

Can you do a short log and a trigger scope when the tooth tolerance error is showing, and attach a copy of the most recent tune.