BMW PnP G4X problems with G5 software

Greenday694

I have the link G4 X Plug and Play in my E36 BMW. I updated the PC link, now it shows as G5. And my car is not running nowhere near as good after reinstalling a previous tune that was done on the dyno.

I was chasing a rattling noise and deleted the Vanos for a short period. Once I reinstalled it, I loaded the original tune back in the car with the updated G5, and now I have nothing but problems. Is the G5 the wrong software for my g4x.?

Yes G5 PCLink can be used with G4X ECUs. Did you update the ECU firmware or just change PCLink?

Can you attach a copy of your tune and elaborate on how the car is running worse, e.g. is it at idle, cruise or under load, low rpm, high rpm, when cold, when hot etc. A PClog of it running badly would probably be a sensible idea too.

Your VANOS setup is very odd, can you confirm which engine you have and whether it has a switched cam or a continuously variable cam as you have the VVT (continuously variable stuff) half setup but with no output set and then you are using a GP Output to switch Aux 3 which you have labelled as VANOS.

Your accel cold correction is 0 at 70degreees C and above which means no accel enrichment, a value of 1.0 in the cold accel enrichment is normal for a fully warm engine with values greater than 1.0 when cold as per the help manual.

As a side note I can see that you have an ethanol sensor setup and reading but your fueling is only setup for a single ethanol percentage not for a range of different ethanol percentage values.

Yes the Vanos is a simply off and on. It's the older single Vanos M50.

Acceleration cold correction, yes that would definitely make sense. I just made that change and it is working again .

I've been working out some other bugs , and upgrading the intercooler . I will be going back on the dyno again in 2 weeks , and my tuner will work on the ethanol side of things . Just wanted to get everything dialed in on pump gas before we put the corn juice in .

Thanks very helpful.

5 minutes ago, Greenday694 said:

Yes the Vanos is a simply off and on. It's the older single Vanos M50.

In that case you can set VVT Control -> VVT Setup -> Cam Control Mode to Off

Okay I made this necessary changes. VVT control off. Acceleration cold correction working.

I thought the cold correction would solve my problem, it didn't. Every time I step on the throttle below 2500 RPMs it misfires and repeatedly backfires through the intake. So far has not blown the charge pipes off. Above 2500 and 3rd gear, I can put it to the floor and it will roast the back tires. No misfires or backfires.?

I checked the plugs that are only one month old, and they are okay. Obviously a little on the rich side, and electrodes are fairly clean. I also pulled the cam cover and pinned the flywheel, rechecked cam timing. Dead on perfect. Put in another set of known good coils, just because they were sitting there. Absolutely no change. Not that this matters nowadays, but the cam and crank position sensor are both less than 6 months old. And genuine Bosch.

timingNfueltrim.pclx

Im a little suspicious of the MAP sensor, I guess the backfiring might exaggerate it, but there are places in your log with 200kPa at 2000RPM, and only 30%TPS, and there are a couple of areas where it doesnt look like it is backfiring but the MAP is still unusually high.  Unless this thing has a tiny turbo?  The fuel pressure doesnt rise 1:1 with MAP either which adds to my suspicion. 

Does it have a boost gauge to confirm the reported MAP or do you know if that is plausible? 

Can you also go to >logging>setup logging and hit the "Add all" button at the bottom, you are currently missing a lot of data from your log.    

High manifold pressure at low RPMs is normal. I'm using the Eaton 2.3 l TVS supercharger.

I've had this set up on the car for well over a year. Previously using the m122h supercharger for well over 5 years.

It only does it from moderate to high load below 3k RPMs.

I will add all and data log again.

I guess well I have your attention, PC link keeps disconnecting from the ECU.

Connection error 1047 serial error.

Connection error 2 protocol error.

I usually have to unplug the USB cable and reinsert. When it does connect again I end up with double fuel maps and other gauges over top of the original screen. I have to close PC link and restart in order to have it work properly. At least until it disconnects again.

I dont see any ecu related issues in any of the logs.  The main thing that looks out of place is it is very rich under power sometimes - especially on bank 2.  I suspect the areas were the lambda isnt showing rich that it is probably misfiring so it is a false reading.  I notice your flex fuel sensor has been set up wrong so the fuel temp is reading 200°C which could cause it to run rich, but I assume it has always been like that and you havent recently changed the edge setting for that?

Your TPS is very noisy and this is causing accel fuel to be dumped in even at steady state so you need to increase the accel deadband to fix that, but I dont think this is adding enough fuel to explain the lambda at 0.68 in some areas.   

13 hours ago, Greenday694 said:

Is there a way I can go back to the previous firmware?

I dont see any suggestion there is a firmware issue, but if you really want to you can downgrade the firmware the exact same way as you upgrade, just use the browse button at the top of the updater screen to select the older firmware.  The old firmware will likely be in the G4X directory: C:\Link G4X\PCLink G4X\Firmware.

On 6/7/2024 at 12:45 PM, Greenday694 said:

I guess well I have your attention, PC link keeps disconnecting from the ECU.

Connection error 1047 serial error.

Connection error 2 protocol error.

1047 is normal it it occurs when you turn the ignition off.  If this is happening with the engine running then it is likely ignition noise related.  Have you fitted the coil cover?  I have seen this cause comms errors in E36's before. 

On 6/7/2024 at 12:45 PM, Greenday694 said:

I usually have to unplug the USB cable and reinsert. When it does connect again I end up with double fuel maps and other gauges over top of the original screen. I have to close PC link and restart in order to have it work properly. At least until it disconnects again.

This graphics glitch appears to be triggered by the new ECU selction window in G5 software.  This screen has been changed a little in the latest release which has reduced the occurance of the glitch for some users, so download the latest PC link and give that a try.  

I am using the link ethanol content sensor. How do I set it up so that it's reading correctly?

I'm currently not using ethanol. My tuner will tune for that on the dyno.  But the fuel in my area has 10% ethanol. And eventually I will be using E85, that I can get from certain stations. For now I am using the pump E10.

I was just looking through the dialogues, and notice some strange readings from trigger one. Crank trigger. Mostly shows counting. But intermittently shows before Gap, after Gap, sometimes counting in between. And a few timeouts here and there. Could this be a sign that this crank sensor is bad?

Or could it be one of the hiccups that people have had with the ATI damper?

On 6/9/2024 at 4:54 AM, Greenday694 said:

I am using the link ethanol content sensor. How do I set it up so that it's reading correctly?

Change the DI edge to rising and check the temp reading then looks realistic.  Note this will change your fueling quite a lot if it was tuned with this set wrong.  

On 6/9/2024 at 6:47 AM, Greenday694 said:

I was just looking through the dialogues, and notice some strange readings from trigger one. Crank trigger. Mostly shows counting. But intermittently shows before Gap, after Gap, sometimes counting in between. And a few timeouts here and there. Could this be a sign that this crank sensor is bad?

Or could it be one of the hiccups that people have had with the ATI damper?

There are no trigger errors in any of your logs attached yet, but none of them show any high RPM use either.  It is normal for trigger 1 status to show counting, timeout, tooth before gap and tooth after gap when it is working normally.

The quickest way to see any less commonly needed channel is to hit F12 to open the runtimes screen, fuel temp is on the General tab and ethanol temp is on the Misc tab (both will be the same).

a3j7wz0.png

How do I get to the ethanol sensor setup page?

Digital input/ ethanol sensor,

Source - DI4

DI4 pull up resistor- on

DI4 active Edge- Rising

DI4 Freq Filter - None

Ethanol sensor fault value - 0%

Ethanol sensor lockout time -10s

Injector DC clamp - 85%

This is all I see