g4 link boost controller connected makes it free boost

Michael Smith1436215434

hi there, b4 i took the motor out of my car the boost controller worked as it should when i re installed the motor (after the bottom end was rebuilt) when i hoocked the boost controller back up to the external waste gate the (same way as it was when it worked) it cause the the car to free boost 

ive tried a new boost solonied and did the same thing, i know there power going to the solnoied and i know its connected correctly, im woundering if any one has had a similair problem?, as its starting to sound more like a ecu issue

thanks, any help would be great! 

Hi Michael,

OK, so you disconnected the solenoid and the boost only went to 14 psi spring pressure.

This would indicate incorrect wastegate to solenoid plumbing or incorrect boost control software settings, as I understand it you never touched any software settings just pulled the engine and did a rebuild and reinstalled.

So this leaves the plumbing.

I have attached a diagram of how I set these up, if you boost control worked fine before as it was you don't need to fit the restrictors.

The restrictors are only required if try to achieve a higher boost level when you base spring pressure is too low.

Regards

Dave.

hi there

when i dissconnect the plug for boost solonied it just boost on waste gate pressure. the waste gate it self has a 10psi spring, and the boost controller is set at 14psi.

yea ive never touched the software, ive got hocked up exactly like i had it before i took motor out etc, and ive even asked the local dyno shop if it plumbed up correctly and they have given me a diagrame as well.

my set up is

two ports coming off the intercooler pipe

*1st port goes striaght to the bottom of the waste gate

*2nd port from intercooler pipe goes to boost controller and then goes to the top of the waste gate, (port 3 on boost solonied vent to air.

thank you 

Hi Michael,

That is a different way of setting it up, but I guess it should work.

Do you know how to use the software with a laptop.

If so go to your AUX Output that is controlling the boost solenoid, change it from boost solenoid to test PWM and set the frequency to say 20%, touch the boost solenoid and see if you can feel it buzzing, reset the frequency to say 50 and the buzzing feeling should increase in speed.

This is purely to test the electrical workings of the solenoid.

While you are in test mode make sure you can blow through the port assigned as boost source from intercooler pipe to the top side of the wastegate.

This will make sure that there is flow through the solenoid.

Try these tests and report back, if you have any issues please post back.

Regards

Dave.

Next will be to see what the WG duty cycle is doing. If its at a high % then it is trying to make lots of boost.

If it is low then it is trying to keep the boost low.

If you were to post your PCL file that would also help Dave or myself see what is happening.

Hi Michael,

Your PCL FILE is your tune file that is in your computer.

You need to find where in your computer you have installed the G4  PC LINK software, in your C DRIVE, My Documents etc.

When you have located the folder it will be called PC LINK or G4 depends on how you saved it on installation.

You need to double click on this folder, it will open,

Inside will be sub directories BASE MAPS, LOG FILES, LAYOUTS ETC.

Your PCL file will be in the BASE MAPS folder.

So when you make your next post simply hit the Attachments bar below, by clicking the Browse button it will open directories in your laptop,

If you found your G4 Folder previously in My Documents , then you select My Documents, then find the folder, open the Base Maps folder and double click on the PCL FILE that is in your ECU at present, then simply click post comment.

If you are unsure of which PCL file is loaded, NORMALLY it will be the one with the latest date.

Let us know how you go with that,

Regards

Dave.

Ok thank you, dam this is starting to be tricky case

ok how do i capture the log?

just a thought, i did have to change a metal washer on the top port of the waste waste gate as i lost one, could it be possiable at all that it is to big and is not sealing the pressure there for the solinoed isnt getting enough pressure to open?

Hi Michael,

Firstly can you please explain the way your Boost table works, your boost target table 's Y axis is based off AN VLT 2 GP INPUT %

What is AN VLT 2 GP INPUT, some sort of variable input or something ????

I just want to understand the workings behind your setup.

Now you say that previously the boost control worked fine without issues.

Did the boost reach and maintain the target boost at all times.

Michael what brand of waste gate is it, can you take a photo and upload it.

Failing all of this, can you log into my web site www.protuningcairns.com and go to the contacts tab.

Send me an email so I have a return email or we can just communicate on here.

On my website you will see a TEAMVIEWER page, go onto this page and read the explanation of how this service works , further down the page you will see a PRO TUNING TEAM VIEWER DOWNLOAD TAB, click on this and download TEAMVIEWER remote desktop software.

This way I can setup your data logger etc and we can get a data log to see if anything program wise etc could be at fault.

Can you go into more detail regarding the washer you replaced at the top of the waste gate.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Michael,

Did you do a direct email to [email protected] or did you fill out the CONTACT US form on my web site.

Either way I have not seen your email  sorry.

My other half Tanya was working on the site yesterday setting up PAYPAL accounts etc, maybe this clashed with your email time and that is why I haven't seen it as yet.

Please contact me via the direct email address at the top of this post.

Sorry

Regards

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

It tells us that the wastegate is not at fault.

what you should do is look at the wastegate table while running the car , if it stays in one cell 100% or 0% depending on your plumbing) then one of the axises are to blame.

if it moves between cells fine I don't know really as you've tried different controllers,have a table,plumbing ok,and working wiring

im on my phone so I cant look at your pcl file , but having an axis as an volt sounds really weird , generally I would have map vs rpm.