911 twin plug COP trigger offset

Endurance_Racer

Hey guys,

Have a link G5 running a EFI conversion with a 60-2 crank trigger and the cam with a single window that is 120 out before TDC. I have a scope and am trying to sort out the offset for this thing. I always have a hard time sorting this window out. Here is the trigger scope.

I also am wondering if I can run 12cylinder and reallocate the ignition for the twin plug Audi coils as we have two coils per cylinder. Appreciate it.

Trigger Scope911-3.5 - 2024-06-20 5;52;14 pm.llg5

9 hours ago, Endurance_Racer said:

I have a scope and am trying to sort out the offset for this thing. I always have a hard time sorting this window out. Here is the trigger scope.

Not sure what you are asking here?  You use a timing light to set the trigger offset, adjust the offset until the timing light/pulley marks show the same value that you have set as the reference in the set base timing screen.  

9 hours ago, Endurance_Racer said:

I also am wondering if I can run 12cylinder and reallocate the ignition for the twin plug Audi coils as we have two coils per cylinder. Appreciate it.

The engine will need to be set to 6 cyl for spark and injection to occur at the correct angle.  You will need to wire two coils to each ign drive.  

Yes I appreciate that Adam. I thought this is how it should be wired. We did use a timing light. Seems to be off still. So that is why I posted the ignition offset. I will do the timing sweep again and see what we come up with. I believe the shop owner might have drilled the cam pickup reference incorrectly in the rear of the engine. This would have the offset all off.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:50 AM, Endurance_Racer said:

I believe the shop owner might have drilled the cam pickup reference incorrectly in the rear of the engine. This would have the offset all off.

The cam sensor is only used for phase, it has no effect on timing or offset.  If the cam tooth is in the wrong place then the worst that would happen is the spark would be on the wrong phase, firing at TDC exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke so the engine wouldnt start.  

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this is exactly what was going on. I had the calculation from where the offset should be and once, he drilled it in the right spot. It fired right up. 

I also want to ask if we can implement some things for this air-cooled engine. I will be doing a lot more of them on the Link. The Owner of the shop is really happy with the end result. But as a tuner I have some things I want to address.

1. I want to be able to have an air-cooled cylinder temperature calibration, so that we can adjust Hot start crank enrichment, post start, and so on. Because the Cylinder head temp. on these billet heads can get up to 330 degrees F. So being able to change all the axis for the Temperature would be great.

2. I want to see if you guys for the twin plug engines can tell the ECU to allocate injectors 7-12 for secondary coils to fire simultaneously as the primary for the matching cylinder. Just a thought.

The ECT lockout thing for the Closed loop needs to for sure be bumped for Air cooled stuff to at least 380 degrees. This is hurting us badly.

I am sure there will be a few other things I will ask to add later. Thanks for all your hard work.

8 hours ago, Laminar said:

If you have a pair of smart coils firing at the same time, is there a reason you couldn't drive both coils from the same ignition channel as if you were doing waste spark?

You absolutely can. I just Like to keep things wired independently of each other. Also makes Diagnosing much easier. 

On 7/12/2024 at 3:01 PM, Endurance_Racer said:

1. I want to be able to have an air-cooled cylinder temperature calibration, so that we can adjust Hot start crank enrichment, post start, and so on. Because the Cylinder head temp. on these billet heads can get up to 330 degrees F. So being able to change all the axis for the Temperature would be great.

ECT values in tables can be up to 200deg C, I would assume you would setup cylinder head temp as ECT if it is what matters when it comes to tuning corrections.
Pre Crank prime table axis is configurable
Crank Enrichment table axis is configurable when set to 3D
Crank Hold time axis isn't configurable and goes up to 140deg C but how much variation would you expect to need above this?
Post Start Enrichment table axis is configurable when set to 3D
Post Start Hold time axis isn't configurable and goes up to 140deg C but how much variation would you expect to need above this?
Same for Post Start Decay Time
Warmup Enrichment table axes are configurable
Accel Cold Correction is not configurable and only goes up to 90deg C but the Accel Sens. Table is 3D with configurable axes and so you could use the 2nd axis as temperature.
Overrun Fuel Cut axis isn't configurable and goes up to 140deg C but how much variation would you expect to need above this?
ECT Ignition Trim goes up to 200deg C in 2D table and is configurable in 3d
Limit tables have configurable axes
Boost ECT Trim table goes up to 200deg C
Idle Base Pos table axis is configurable

What specifically do you need changed from what it is currently?

2. I want to see if you guys for the twin plug engines can tell the ECU to allocate injectors 7-12 for secondary coils to fire simultaneously as the primary for the matching cylinder. Just a thought.

Our only dual coil per cylinder ignition modes are rotary ones, if you are wanting to fire two coils for the same cylinder simultaneously then wire a single trigger to two igniters or smart coils.

The ECT lockout thing for the Closed loop needs to for sure be bumped for Air cooled stuff to at least 380 degrees. This is hurting us badly.

I'll change the CLL ECT Low and High Lockouts to be able to go up to 200deg C and that will show up in the next release.

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

ECT values in tables can be up to 200deg C, I would assume you would setup cylinder head temp as ECT if it is what matters when it comes to tuning corrections.
Pre Crank prime table axis is configurable
Crank Enrichment table axis is configurable when set to 3D
Crank Hold time axis isn't configurable and goes up to 140deg C but how much variation would you expect to need above this?
Post Start Enrichment table axis is configurable when set to 3D
Post Start Hold time axis isn't configurable and goes up to 140deg C but how much variation would you expect to need above this?
Same for Post Start Decay Time
Warmup Enrichment table axes are configurable
Accel Cold Correction is not configurable and only goes up to 90deg C but the Accel Sens. Table is 3D with configurable axes and so you could use the 2nd axis as temperature.
Overrun Fuel Cut axis isn't configurable and goes up to 140deg C but how much variation would you expect to need above this?
ECT Ignition Trim goes up to 200deg C in 2D table and is configurable in 3d
Limit tables have configurable axes
Boost ECT Trim table goes up to 200deg C
Idle Base Pos table axis is configurable

What specifically do you need changed from what it is currently?

Our only dual coil per cylinder ignition modes are rotary ones, if you are wanting to fire two coils for the same cylinder simultaneously then wire a single trigger to two igniters or smart coils.

I'll change the CLL ECT Low and High Lockouts to be able to go up to 200deg C and that will show up in the next release.

Thank you for Clarifying all of this. Yes, this would be great in the next revision. I do not think I have actually gone through to look and change the axis tales on some of the tables clarified. So much appreciated. I am sure it would not be much change. But the aggression on the camshafts for some of these air-cooled engines and reversion makes it a bit more necessary compared to the standard engine. But I will play with this and see what it wants. 

I will wire a single output to both smart coils from now on.