Is it possible to use the Link Can/Lambda WBO2 kit to datalog on EVOSCAN

Jason82

Hello,

I have an EVO 9 SE.  I purchased a link ECU G4X for my car last Thanksgiving because I believed my stock ECU was toast.  While that possibility isn't ruled out, I have been getting concurrent codes from both the ECU and the ACD ECU for Low input voltage on the TPS sensor.  This leads me to question if i have a bad ECU at all.  So i am still troublshooting the issue since I am getting it from multiple ECU's and these two ECU's are suppposed to not communicate to each other in this way.  Meaning that a code in one will not set a code in another.  So I have installed the CAN/LAMBDA and the IAC temperature sensor from link as part of the install for the Link ECU.  Since Im not currently using the WBO2 sensor, can it be wired to also function as part of the datalogging for programs like EVOSCAN?

Jason 

You can see the actual voltage on the TPS input pin on the Link ECU so I would start by looking at that value and then seeing if it moves with throttle movement. If the value stays down near 0v the whole time even when the throttle blade is being moved then you will need to look into your TPS sensor and it's wiring. TPS sensor can be tested with a multimeter and wiring can be checked by seeing if it has 5v and ground where it should and by jumping each of these one at a time to the signal wire to see if the reading changes in the ECU.

To see the TPS voltage in the Link ECU you need to connect to it with PCLink, press F12 to bring up the Runtime Values window and then navigate to the Analog tab where you should see An Volt 3 set up as TPS (for the EVO 9 plugin) with the raw voltage of it showing.

Capture.PNG

And to answer the question about the CAN Lambda, no it cant be used with Evoscan.  If you are going to leave it in place for now, then make sure the CAN lambda controller is plugged into the sensor and powered up, even without CAN bus it will still heat the sensor and control it at the correct temperature to prevent it sooting up.

Thank you for the info. I will be sure to correct that.  

The bosh sensor is an industry standard sensor so I should be able to use it as a direct wire in to the stock ECU or wire to a serial port for data logging, correct?

Jason 

Vaughn,  

Thank you for that info. I have already done all of that and as far as I could tell I did not have any known issues with the link ECU or reports of low input voltage on the tps sensor. Although I only ran a short period with the link ECU. I had a starting issue that I could not solve for the life of me and I took it to Kozmic motorsports to have them troubleshoot.  During that visit the mechanic plugged the stock ECU back in and unplugged the turbo timer to see if it was causing any issues with the ACD ECU and they wanted me to run like that for a bit to see if that solved any problems. It didn’t, so I ran the codes on the ACD ECU and that is when I found out that that ECU is was also showing codes for the low input voltage at the tps sensor. I did a little research and found that the ACD ECU and the engine ECU do not communicate and that code was set independently. Something already fried my ECU once so I want to address it before I plug the Link back in. 

Jason

55 minutes ago, Jason82 said:

The bosh sensor is an industry standard sensor so I should be able to use it as a direct wire in to the stock ECU or wire to a serial port for data logging, correct?

The sensor is common, but it still needs a controller to control it and generate a useable lambda measurement from it.  The controller will need to be something that the evoscan software and the VCI dongle/connection both have support for.  I know Openport 2.0 supports some serial wideband controllers, its been a long time since I used it though.  Whatever you do, dont get an Innovate device.  

It will report sensor errors frequently requiring sensor replacement. The sensor isn't actually faulty however, it's aging just causes its frequency response to change and the innovate system cant cope with that.  Most innovate users end up with shares in bosch which cost 10 times more than a good controller.