E-Throttle Setup for Link G4 Xtreme Top Board With RET E Throttle Add-On

Sandy9369

Hi Guys. My name is Sandeep and I hail from Singapore. 

I have a Link G4+ Xtreme Top Board With RET E Throttle Add-On.

I am unable to literally put the E throttle mode into the "On" mode. I can only drive on setup mode. Initially during setup my tuner did do all he could and we were facing an issue calibrating the TPS. However after some research we managed to nail it. However we are still unable to turn "ON" the e- throttle mode. The car goes into Limp Mode and shows Error: 76 ... 

I am driving a toyota vios 1.5M with a 1NZ-FE with a Toyota Wish 2ZR Throttle body... 

Appreciate if some of the gurus here can share their fair experience of E throttle setup so I can have a nice drive! 

Thank you and looking forward to hear from you guys soon!

Fault code 76 says that the TPS Main and Sub aren't following each other properly, please attach a copy of your tune and a PC Log of the throttle going from 0% to 100% so that we can see what the analog voltages and TPS values do

Hi Vaughan! I have attached all that i have. let me know if it is incomplete. I will get it done again. I am unable to attach the log file as it exceeds the size... can i email it to you perhaps?
Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience. 

9369.pclr

That log has very little recorded in it which makes it hard to determine what was happening, I wanted to see An Volt 2 &3 voltage values as well as the TPS ones.

Why you get the fault code is very clear, your TPS main and sub values only match at 0 adn are different everywhere else so the ECU thinks there is something wrong with the sensors.

Capture.PNG.229aba3cecde7ee16a7d97ccd40bcb8f.PNG

Looking at your voltage calibration ranges and how the two slopes move I think you need to make An Volt 2 TP (Sub) and make An Volt 3 TP (Main) and change your TPS calibration values as shown below.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a62e81da9e2fdd63e019927aa9fbf2c2.PNG

Once you have changed those settings and stored them to the ECU please take a PCLink log of the TP Calibration procedure making sure that the log contains all variables and not just a select few (Logging -> Setup Logging -> PC Logging tab -> Click "Add All >>", click Ok then use F8 to start and stop the log).

Hi Vaughan. I was in immense tears when i did the throttle setup according to your instructions and the car drives EXTREMELY well now. Not sluggish anymore and it is much more responsive! I have attached 2 logs accordingly. 1 was a normal log with all the info needed, and another is with the TP calibration. 

looking forward to your kind reply! Thank you so so much! 

Log 2024-08-2 10;08;26 am.llg Log 2024-08-2 10;20;07 am throttle cal.llg

There appears to be some issue with one of your TP sensors or possibly wiring.  during calibration the TP sub shows the same voltage 3 times for WOT, but the TP main showed the correct voltage for the first 2 WOT movements, then on the third movement the voltage was only about half of the expected.  

Hi Adamw. Would this be something related to the wiring? Currently the 5V & ground is being taken from the factory ECU. We are planning to swop the 5V and ground over to the LINK ecu. Could this possibly be the issue? 
As per your explanation above, I agree. During the third part of the TP calibration, TP main was half, and the TP sub was full. 

Was also wondering if you could look into my PID settings and see if it is okay or if it is the best settings that can be set. 

sincerely appreciating your kind help and knowledge. Thank you!

The 5V and sensor ground definitely needs to be from the link ecu, however I doubt this would cause only one sensor to read wrong.  

I cant tell you anything about the PID until you have a correctly working throttle.  

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody. I have a correctly working throttle now. 5V & Ground are directly from Link g4. However i still have the sub / main tracking error when the throttle is turned "ON". I have to drive in setup mode. I will try to get a log and upload it here latest by end of the day as it is 10am now... Appreciate the help rendered... Thank you..

On 8/4/2024 at 7:10 PM, Adamw said:

The 5V and sensor ground definitely needs to be from the link ecu, however I doubt this would cause only one sensor to read wrong.  

I cant tell you anything about the PID until you have a correctly working throttle.  

On 8/2/2024 at 6:57 AM, Vaughan said:

That log has very little recorded in it which makes it hard to determine what was happening, I wanted to see An Volt 2 &3 voltage values as well as the TPS ones.

Why you get the fault code is very clear, your TPS main and sub values only match at 0 adn are different everywhere else so the ECU thinks there is something wrong with the sensors.

Capture.PNG.229aba3cecde7ee16a7d97ccd40bcb8f.PNG

Looking at your voltage calibration ranges and how the two slopes move I think you need to make An Volt 2 TP (Sub) and make An Volt 3 TP (Main) and change your TPS calibration values as shown below.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a62e81da9e2fdd63e019927aa9fbf2c2.PNG

Once you have changed those settings and stored them to the ECU please take a PCLink log of the TP Calibration procedure making sure that the log contains all variables and not just a select few (Logging -> Setup Logging -> PC Logging tab -> Click "Add All >>", click Ok then use F8 to start and stop the log).

Hi Adam & Vaughan. I now have the same repeated issue if the throttle is 'ON'. both 5V and ground has been wired from the link ecu directly. 

Sincerely appreciate it if you could guide me through this. Please do let me know what kind of log would be required? with the TP cal or without. 

Thank you very much.

18 hours ago, Adamw said:

Just a PC log of the fault occurring will be a good start.

Hi Adam, The fault doesnt appear now. it appears suddenly while driving sometimes. There were instances i had to restart my car around 10-15 times just to surpass this issue. However i have attached a log. Do let me know what can be adjusted or done. I truly appreciate all of your help as well as the other gurus who have their inputs. Thank you Adam guru and the rest of the gurus! 

9369.llg

The TPS hasnt been calibrated, it looks like you have a sub sensor that doesnt cover the full range so its span would have been set correctly if the auto calibration had been done.  Please run the TP calibration and report back if it succeeds - if it fails please take note of the reported error.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2024 at 8:08 PM, Adamw said:

The TPS hasnt been calibrated, it looks like you have a sub sensor that doesnt cover the full range so its span would have been set correctly if the auto calibration had been done.  Please run the TP calibration and report back if it succeeds - if it fails please take note of the reported error.   

Hi Adam. I have attached the TPS calibration in this log file. FYI I tried changing out the throttle body and one of my sensor still does not reach 100% on the 3rd portion of the TPS calibration. Do let me know what else needs to be done. As for now no error but just that the sub tracking error appears randomly while driving. 

9369 TPS Log.llg

On 10/12/2024 at 10:10 PM, Sandy9369 said:

FYI I tried changing out the throttle body and one of my sensor still does not reach 100% on the 3rd portion of the TPS calibration.

Its not meant to, your calibration looks fine now.

It appears that it should now work ok to me and there are not many clues as to an issue in your most recent log. It looks like possibly the throttle PID may need a little tuning as you have a bit of oscillation after a step change but that is hard to tell from such a short log.

If you give us a PC log of some normal driving then I may be able to give some further suggestions. 

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

It appears that it should now work ok to me and there are not many clues as to an issue in your most recent log. It looks like possibly the throttle PID may need a little tuning as you have a bit of oscillation after a step change but that is hard to tell from such a short log.

If you give us a PC log of some normal driving then I may be able to give some further suggestions. 

Hi Adam. As attached. Do let me know the correct possible PID values... Thank you! Truly appreciate this journey of learning!

9369 Drive.llg

On 10/16/2024 at 1:17 PM, Sandy9369 said:

Hi Adam. As attached. Do let me know the correct possible PID values... Thank you! Truly appreciate this journey of learning!

9369 Drive.llg 3.82 MB · 2 downloads

On 10/16/2024 at 5:07 AM, Adamw said:

Hi Adam! Good day! Any luck for the PID settings? 🙏 as I have bouncy rpm as well.. it hunts for a while when aircon compressor kicks in or out.. truly appreciate your guidance . Thank you. 

The throttle control looks mostly ok to me in that log.  You need to put e-throttle mode to "ON", you should not be driving with it in setup mode as the warning tells you every time you connect.  

I would say most of the drivability issues are due to the tune in general being a bit crazy in many areas. Some bits that are contributing:

• E-throttle target table top row should have the same value right across. 
  • For blending into and out of idle control with G4+, the bulk of your throttle required for idle should come from the top row of the e-throttle target table, the Idle base position table should only have small values in it at normal running temp.  So for example if you normally need 3.7% TP to idle at the target when warm, then the E-throttle target table should have 3.5% in it and the remaining 0.2% can come from the idle base position table.  
  • Idle speed RPM lockout should be 4-500.
  • Idle Fan step, AC step and AC clutch delay needs to be tuned. 
  • Your battery voltage drops ~0.8V for a second when the fan turns on, this suggests there may be a wiring issue or weak ground.  Your deadtime table is flat at 13 & 14V so the fuel mixture will also drift during that voltage spike. 
  • Overrun fuel cut is disabling at about the same time and idle ignition kicks in, one is increasing torque, while the other is trying to decrease torque.  I would add about 15deg retard to the overrun fuel cut, and lower the idle ign rpm lockout to about 1500.
  • The normal ignition advance from the idle ignition table is 10deg, but your main ignition table has 20deg in the same area, the main ign table should be close to the same so you dont have an abrupt change in torque as soon as you touch the pedal. 
  • Accel fuel looks overactive.  No lambda so cant say for sure, but it is regularly adding 50-60% extra fuel for small throttle movements.  
  • IAT trim should be off in modelled fuel equation.  

On 10/20/2024 at 6:21 PM, Adamw said:

The throttle control looks mostly ok to me in that log.  You need to put e-throttle mode to "ON", you should not be driving with it in setup mode as the warning tells you every time you connect.  

I would say most of the drivability issues are due to the tune in general being a bit crazy in many areas. Some bits that are contributing:

• E-throttle target table top row should have the same value right across. 
  • For blending into and out of idle control with G4+, the bulk of your throttle required for idle should come from the top row of the e-throttle target table, the Idle base position table should only have small values in it at normal running temp.  So for example if you normally need 3.7% TP to idle at the target when warm, then the E-throttle target table should have 3.5% in it and the remaining 0.2% can come from the idle base position table.  
  • Idle speed RPM lockout should be 4-500.
  • Idle Fan step, AC step and AC clutch delay needs to be tuned. 
  • Your battery voltage drops ~0.8V for a second when the fan turns on, this suggests there may be a wiring issue or weak ground.  Your deadtime table is flat at 13 & 14V so the fuel mixture will also drift during that voltage spike. 
  • Overrun fuel cut is disabling at about the same time and idle ignition kicks in, one is increasing torque, while the other is trying to decrease torque.  I would add about 15deg retard to the overrun fuel cut, and lower the idle ign rpm lockout to about 1500.
  • The normal ignition advance from the idle ignition table is 10deg, but your main ignition table has 20deg in the same area, the main ign table should be close to the same so you dont have an abrupt change in torque as soon as you touch the pedal. 
  • Accel fuel looks overactive.  No lambda so cant say for sure, but it is regularly adding 50-60% extra fuel for small throttle movements.  
  • IAT trim should be off in modelled fuel equation.  

Hi Adam.
The tune of the car is amazing and has no driveability issues at all. It is just the throttle issue which shows the tracking error every time i put the throttle in "ON" mode. I will try the above and update you once its done.

Thank you for all the assistance and help! Will revert to you here in a weeks time.

2 hours ago, Sandy9369 said:

The tune of the car is amazing and has no driveability issues at all.

On 10/20/2024 at 3:18 PM, Sandy9369 said:

as I have bouncy rpm as well.. it hunts for a while when aircon compressor kicks in or out.

This is the drivability issue.