2003 Mitsubishi wideband knock sensor

Turbo.Tim

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution with a 2.3 stroker kit.  The stock knock sensor picks up a ton of engine noise even when I know the engine is not knocking (removed all timing, wastegate only).

I wanted to switch to a bosch wideband knock sensor.  I already have the install kit.  Am I able to use the stock wiring?  I wanted to make a jumper harness that will plug into the stock knock sensor plug.  The sensor i bought is not polarity sensitive so I assume that means the wiring order is not important?

As for the configuration in the ECU would I choose 4-10 or 10-16 wideband?  Will I still see the same amount of false knock?  Or will it provide a better signal?

Just confirm your new sensor doesnt have continuity from the steel mounting base to either pin, (some bosch sensors do), provided it doesnt then it can be connected either way to the stock wiring.  

To find the best frequency you really need to do frequency analysis with an audio device or trial and error.  6KHz narrow works best on my evo7, but that is a stock 2.0 

16 hours ago, Adamw said:

Just confirm your new sensor doesnt have continuity from the steel mounting base to either pin, (some bosch sensors do), provided it doesnt then it can be connected either way to the stock wiring.  

To find the best frequency you really need to do frequency analysis with an audio device or trial and error.  6KHz narrow works best on my evo7, but that is a stock 2.0 

So even with a wideband donut knock sensor you would still just use one channel?  When i configure the knock sensor I have the ability to select wideband.  What would that be used for?

Typically you want the ecu to focus around the frequency that gives to best signal to noise ratio when knock occurs, using a wideband filter means you allow a wider range of frequencies through so the ecu will see more noise that is not knock - the signal to noise ratio will be lower. 

Wideband may be useful in cases where the frequency is unknown and the engine is relatively quiet from a mechanical noise perspective.  For narrowband if the frequency is unknown then you either need to experiment around the assumed frequency or do a frequency analysis.