Fabio

Hy everyone, I am looking for help from expert tuners

My car is Impreza v3 with vf35 turbo

Lately turbo is spooling slow and suddenly

Tune is the same

No boost or exhaust leak 

Tried to put spring on wg and remove b.c. hose

No shaft play ,no weird noise, engine pulls hard when boost is reached

What can cause a boost risechange like this?

I upload two pictures that show the spoolup area, where youcan see a wide difference

Thank you to everyone

Fabio

IMG-20240904-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20240904-WA0007.jpg

What kind of wastegate is it? Is there any chance the valve seat came out when you removed the gate and either fell off or got left on the table? If the valve seat isnt there it will not build boost properly. It will essentially leak exhaust pressure until it becomes a restriction and then rocket your boost to its target. Thats a possibility. Other possibilities are vacuum related, make sure the boost control system is installed and routed correctly. Other than that double check everything.. Hope you get it figured out. Another reason is the actuator arm may have been adjusted incorrectly and the gate flapper isnt fully shut. Same thing would happen, it would be an exhaust pressure leak.

Thank you for your response, wg is ok I removed downpipe, it seating as the seat area is clean and metal shape, i removed the hose to the wg and put a spring on the arm to make sure was not boost control related

is there any chance could be compression related? Timing is ok

A big exhaust like to cause something like this should be easily audible

I have no idea what else to check

I ve got an lpg system installed dual map and it does the same exact thing on both fuels

Thank you

Fabio

If nothing has changed with the engine and it was working as should before you removed the wastegate, then there shouldnt be a random loss of compression but that is a possibility. I think a loss of compression would be more noticed before a late spooling turbo. Ignition timing and VVT play a big part as well but if the tune wasnt changed then that is unlikely. Make sure the plugs on the avcs/vvt solenoids are plugged in if your car has it. Possible chance engine could have jumped time, but again not likely if the engine was running well before you removed the wastegate. Im not familiar with a spring method to check boost control system, I would do a boost leak test if you can. Subarus are difficult to do properly. Hope you find something!

I believe a compression loss would show up even on idle kpa that was and is now around 35 850rpm

Do you think it could be an exhaust manifold crack somewhere? Wouldn t be a leak like that noticeable even when on full boost? 

I do not have avcs,I have no idea what else could cause a different boost rise like that

Sometimes it does seem the boost pick up earlier as before the boost rise graph does not have the previous shape anymore

Have you, in your experience,ever seen a similar behaviour??

That log shows that the boost controller output is commanding maximum boost so you either have an electrical problem (make sure that the Aux 3 PWM Test makes the boost solenoid click), or a boost control plumbing issue or a mechanical issue with boost or wastegate leaks etc.

First thing I did was removing downpipe

No cracks on turbine housing

Wastegate metal shape on contact area ( so sealing properly)

Removed hose from wastegate and tried a boost log,same results as you see on log after 3.8k rpm obvioulsy boost peaks without wg hose but spoolup is slow as if you have boost control active

Could it be a crack on the exhaust manifold center section?

Is it possible that a leak like this is inaudible?

I have no idea what else to look for

Did you have a look at the tune? Do you see something wrong that maybe I am blind of?

Thank you for your help

Fabio