Dash for Vi-PEC

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

It's ashame because you did such a nice job on your dash... the IQ3 is a bit different sized.

I will say this... it's the holidays and I understand that. Rayhall has given EXCEPTIONAL support to us at CRE and helping AIM out. I hope we can get this figured out soon...I really like the little differences between the IQ3 to the MXL. Post pics up when youget it in the car Marcel! Good luck with the IQ3.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Marcel B

Thanks for the compliment GT40 , I would have liked nothing better than to get it working , but I just dont want to be fussing with it anymore . The IQ3 also has some better features than the AIM which I like . Ray can the IQ3 and the laptop be connected at the same time ??

Thanks for the compliment GT40 , I would have liked nothing better than to get it working , but I just dont want to be fussing with it anymore . The IQ3 also has some better features than the AIM which I like . Ray can the IQ3 and the laptop be connected at the same time ??

Marcel B,

I might also be going to the IQ3, what are some of the features that you like better?

I'm not sure why you guys are jumping ship so fast. You both knew the Aim/ViPEC software was not finalized when you got them. You convinced Aim to give you a BETA software to test and it did not work. That's what BETA software is for to see if it all works together before full release. It sounds like AIM and Ray are working very hard on a fix for you guys. BETA testing some times can take months and with company's on different sides of the world that's no easy feat. I think you guys just need to sit back and let them get it sorted out in the new year.

Marcel B you seam to have great confidence in the Racepac that it will work. Well I have not herd of anyone running it with a ViPEC yet and whats to say they will not have similar issues? If you get a Racepac the IQ3 is cheaper than the Street rod and is a much nicer design I think. I would not be going head long into a Racepac expecting to have it plug in and fire right up. You also know there is a very limited amount of data the Racepac can display from the ViPEC right?

I am looking at both a Racepac and a Aim for my car so I look forward to see how it all works out for you both.

Guest Marcel B
I'm not sure why you guys are jumping ship so fast. You both knew the Aim/ViPEC software was not finalized when you got them. You convinced Aim to give you a BETA software to test and it did not work. That's what BETA software is for to see if it all works together before full release. It sounds like AIM and Ray are working very hard on a fix for you guys. BETA testing some times can take months and with company's on different sides of the world that's no easy feat. I think you guys just need to sit back and let them get it sorted out in the new year.

Marcel B you seam to have great confidence in the Racepac that it will work. Well I have not herd of anyone running it with a ViPEC yet and whats to say they will not have similar issues? If you get a Racepac the IQ3 is cheaper than the Street rod and is a much nicer design I think. I would not be going head long into a Racepac expecting to have it plug in and fire right up. You also know there is a very limited amount of data the Racepac can display from the ViPEC right?

I am looking at both a Racepac and a Aim for my car so I look forward to see how it all works out for you both.

I did not just get the AIM , I had it over a year now , I used it sucessfully with my Autronic SM2 . I have already spent just about two years building my car by myself , I just do not want to spend more time waiting and hoping , I just want to be done and start to enjoy my ride. Although the AIM may be able to sample almost everything in the datastream from the computer , it can only display six at a time , in order to get the rest you would have to re connect the laptop and reprogram the unit , this is the biggest detraction for me :!: The Racepak dashes have up to 21 items of data (more than enough :shock: ) set up in 4 user programmable pages that can be easily accessed at any time by pressing a button , this to me is a lot smarter and user friendly design .The Racepack interface has already been tested and it works , they took the time (and a V88) and got it right the first time , this in itself says a lot to me.

As for my choice , the IQ3 model may appear more attractive , but I think it still isn't as "streetwise" as the UDx series , which is just as capable as the IQ3 (I would have been getting the display IQ3 not the logger version).

I have not jumped ship. I still am going with my MXL Strada... But i like to know what other products are out there. If for some reason MXL doesn't go through then at least I'm informed.

I WANT MY AIM TO WORK... I still have the BETA S/W... I'm still working with them... but I will not wait for ever to get it right. 3-4 months I think this should be cleared up if not sooner...I think that is acceptable.

The Motec ADL (dash) can now be used with the Vipec. The Vipec Motec Adaptor is required. This converts the Vipec protocol to the Motec CAN bus protocol. Motec have templates available for the Vipec.

Insight Motorsport has just set up of these, and it works without problems, and all the Vipec data stream items are used. The Motec dash has very powerful data logging capabilities and excellent diagnostic software. This dash would be the best when dollars is not a limiting factor.

Ray.

The Motec ADL (dash) can now be used with the Vipec. The Vipec Motec Adaptor is required. This converts the Vipec protocol to the Motec CAN bus protocol. Motec have templates available for the Vipec.

Insight Motorsport has just set up of these, and it works without problems, and all the Vipec data stream items are used. The Motec dash has very powerful data logging capabilities and excellent diagnostic software. This dash would be the best when dollars is not a limiting factor.

Ray.

Yes was at Scotts today he was very happy it all runs good.

Regards DF

AIM have just contaced me and said the dash is working with the Vipec and adaptor. Below is all the information needed to make it work.

Connection:

Make sure to connect everything to the right place. I mean that the cable coming from the adaptor has to be connected to the Vipec ECU through the “CAN†labeled connector, the five single wires go directly to the MXL, to the power supply and to GND also to make the adaptor be powered on.

Following connections are also described by the pictures attached

MXL RS232TX Blue ----- ADAPTOR Yellow RXD signal to AIM dash

MXL RS232RX White ----- ADAPTOR Blue TXD signal to AIM dash

MXL +12V Red ----- ADAPTOR Red +12V both connected to IGNITION

MXL GND Black ----- ADAPTOR Black GND both connected to battery/chassis GND

ADAPTOR Green SignalGND could be connected to the battery/chassis GND

Remeber to Power on the ECU, the MXL and the Adapter to obtain communication among them.

MXL Configuration

Make sure to save a copy of your existing ECUdriver.bin and Configs_20800AIM.mdb files, then paste the two files I’ve attached once again (link_G4_3bis_Vers.rar) into the same folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\AIM\DATABASE).

After this create a new configuration in Race Studio 2 choosing ECU Manufacturer and ECU Model G4 Vipec (Beta ver), transmit the configuration to your MXL.

Vipec%20AIM.jpg

VipecAdaptorToMXL.jpg

excellent - i was waiting for this !

do i talk to you, ray, about the interface cable or dealer ?

do you have a line on the aim dash's ? any pointers on where to buy ? am looking for one WITH the icons for fuel, indicator, headlights etc down the side.

Cheers

Guest Marcel B
i need a cable and dash - where to buy?

cheers

Not sure if Ray would allow me to advertise , but I'll post it anyway :) ....I have one of Rays cables thats unused , I am willing to let it go for a good price (need to find out how much I payed for it :mrgreen: )

Guest Marcel B

Marcel you may as well sell it if you are not using the AIM now.

Thanks Ray :D

can you let me know when you have a price together pls. - i guess you already got rid of your aim dash ?

I should know by the end of the day , I just contacted my local dealer for the price, As for the dash .., yes its already sold .

I realise this is beta - but can you post a link for the firmware for the MXL please - should be picking one up this afternoon.

Cheers

AIM have just contaced me and said the dash is working with the Vipec and adaptor. Below is all the information needed to make it work.

Connection:

Make sure to connect everything to the right place. I mean that the cable coming from the adaptor has to be connected to the Vipec ECU through the “CAN†labeled connector, the five single wires go directly to the MXL, to the power supply and to GND also to make the adaptor be powered on.

Following connections are also described by the pictures attached

MXL RS232TX Blue ----- ADAPTOR Yellow RXD signal to AIM dash

MXL RS232RX White ----- ADAPTOR Blue TXD signal to AIM dash

MXL +12V Red ----- ADAPTOR Red +12V both connected to IGNITION

MXL GND Black ----- ADAPTOR Black GND both connected to battery/chassis GND

ADAPTOR Green SignalGND could be connected to the battery/chassis GND

Remeber to Power on the ECU, the MXL and the Adapter to obtain communication among them.

MXL Configuration

Make sure to save a copy of your existing ECUdriver.bin and Configs_20800AIM.mdb files, then paste the two files I’ve attached once again (link_G4_3bis_Vers.rar) into the same folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\AIM\DATABASE).

After this create a new configuration in Race Studio 2 choosing ECU Manufacturer and ECU Model G4 Vipec (Beta ver), transmit the configuration to your MXL.

Vipec%20AIM.jpg

VipecAdaptorToMXL.jpg