1UZ VVTI No spark

Tony4

Hi, this is a new installation of G4 xtreme on 1UZ VVTi with standard coil on plugs.

Frustratingly, I couldn't start the engine and there is no spark. When I perform the ignition test, there is a 5v square wave pulse to the ign sig output, but I couldn't hear the clicking noise nor the spark.

I've wired the COP (Pin 1 - 12v, Pin 3 - Ign sig, Pin 4 - Ground) and checked there is 12V, and good ground (0.4ohm) to the chassis.

One thing to point out, the ECU internal voltage is 1 volt less than the actual battery voltage. Is this normal?

Edited by Tony4

Strange, if you've got the trigger signal and the coils wired correctly they should be firing.  ECU internal voltage can be different than your voltage measured at the battery when you have voltage drop through the system contacts and wiring (EFI relay etc)

This is the wiring for the Toyota coils: http://www.kaizengarage.com/images/toyota_coilpacks/CIMG2167_pinslabelled.jpg

Yes, I can read the rpm when I crank and I can hear the IAC valve activating, so I know the ecu is performing engine start routine.

Thanks JMP for the link, that's how I wired the coils. How do you check the coil on plug if it is working? I use the silverline in line tester, and also tried wedging the spark plug against the engine block to check the spark.

I've got a length of spark plug lead with a long plug-end on it which can fit down the plug tubes.  The other end has a metal crimped over section on the conductor which I push up into the COP boot and then ziptie around the base of the boot so the plug lead stays seated in the COP against the spring.  With that setup, I can then use a normal timing light which confirms when the coil is firing and makes it much easier to set the base timing/trigger offset.

I have also had the coil out of the motor and fitted a plug into the end of it before then held the thread to the cam cover to confirm spark visually

Managed to get it running now...phew...

It turns out, the coil on plug wiring terminal on 1uzfe vvti is different to the norm. 

"Toyota coils: http://www.kaizengarage.com/images/toyota_coilpacks/CIMG2167_pinslabelled.jpg " is incorrect on 1uz vvti. The IGT signal is next to 12v on PIN 2, not PIN 3.

I now have to deal with all the water leaks from front and rear of the engine....oh well....