Ignition table clarification needed.

dazdavies

Hey fellas. I wonder if you good people can clarify an issue for me.

I currently have a Subaru Hawkeye STI with a PnP V88. Car makes around 605whp and runs 10.9 on the quarter mile. on E85 and is 507whp on 98 V Power

I built the car and had in tuned in Perth WA. I've just returned to the UK and have taken the car with me.

So I want to get the tune checked for UK fuel as I seem to be running a little lean on WOT. 11.8 at 1.7bar.

Anyway as my nearest Link/Vipec dealer is a 5 hour drive away I thought I'd see if it was just a quick fix to add some fuel. 

So I have a number of friends that are professional tuners and they have expressed concern with the ignition table side of things but as none of them are Link tuners there is a bit of confusion as to whats  actually going on.

Basically They are saying that the figures on the ignition table are incredibly low for the power I'm making but due to the times Im running there must be more to it.

Some are saying that the timing in the table is as it says. 

So some have said that the 10% base timing figure in trigger calibration is added to the timing figure in the ignition table so if the field in the ignition table reads 8 the actual timing figure is 18.

If that is the case then it makes the current vipec  ignition table much more in line with normal figures these guys would expect to see.

In a previous car I had a similar setup to what I have now only on a different ECU (syvecs) the ignition table on that shows much more advance.

Basically the tuners here are saying the ignition figures on my current Vipec should be much more closer to the figures on the syvecs ignition table than they currently are.

Whilst I'm obviously not expecting to see identical figures they should be in the same ball park and they are not.

Can someone with better knowledge than me confirm if the ignition advance is on the low side on the current vipec tune or if the 10 degrees base timing in trigger setup is actually added to whatever figure is in the ignition table.

Hopefully I've explained that well enough.

Here are the two tables both on Vpower:

I've also attached the current map for reference.

Thanks in advance

Daz

syvecs.jpg

ignitionvpower.jpg

98tune507whp.pcl

Edited by dazdavies

I dont know about your timing numbers but the 10 degree in the calibration menu is NOT added to timing. That is just what timing the ecu is locked at while you adjust trigger offset.

Just lock your timing with the calibration menu and check your timing/offset with an ignition lamp and see if it matches. Then you have your question/doubt answered

As mentioned the car is awesome to drive. makes over 600whp and does 10 second quarters so the low  figures on the ignition table  just don't make sense if the 10 isn't added to them.

A five hour drive to see a link tuner it is then. Bugger!!:(

Edited by dazdavies

Thats the point. Car is probably tuned correctly. But the timing wasnt calibrated up front of the tune. You need to calibrate timing so that 10 degrees (or whatever number) in the ECU is actually 10 degrees at the pulley on the crank. . If it isnt the numbers in the map doesnt correlate to the ACTUAL timing the engine sees.

There is a function where you lock the timing at a number (say 10 or whatever) then you check with a timinglight at hte crank that it actually IS 10 degrees.