Help ! FPR needed

Guest Marcel B

Guest Marcel B

:!: hi all , after fighting relentlessly with what I thaught was an issue with my acceleration enrichment settings and cold/ hot start numbers , I am now 99% convinced that its my FPR thats been screwing around. I run a 5" "holley style" throttle body , with 6 X 16oocc injectors (two primarys on the block and four secondarys in the TB) , two Bosch '044 pumps , -8An and -10AN lines....PLENTY of gas :twisted: . Since starting her up , I have never had this problem , the car accelerates great , but as boost begins to build it begins to hold back , shake and pop , I know its because its leaning out. I have gone to both extremes on all the settings for enrichment as well as richen up the main fuel map,this has helped a bit but hasn't totally eliminated it . Recently I was looking in my engine bay and noticed that RAW fuel was leaking from the hose which connects my ISC solenoid to the vacuum manifold :!: the only place this could come from is the FPR , through its reference line connected to the vacuum manifold , since the primarys are located after the sensing point on the intake and the secondarys have not yet turned on . I use a MAGNAFUEL 9950 FPR , anyone else have any info on these ? I did a brief bit of searching on the net , and I found that the diaphragm in these fail :o anyone have first hand information :?: also , I WILL need to replace it , can anyone recomend a good high flowing unit :?:

Marcel,

I refuse to tune any engine that has a fuel pressure regulator that is not standard. Far too much time is wasted trying to tune engines due to so called "Performance" regulators. The rules are..if it is not factory it is no good. Using this rule means you never have problems.

I do not want to rave on about this...but why do you think you need a performance regulator. The standard regulator will handle much bigger pump flows in just about every case. If you do get fuel pressure creep at idle then use a regulator off a bigger engine.

I built twin turbo big block Chevy marine engines for years. These engines had either up to four Bosch electric pumps or in most cases a Enderle 80A mechanical pump. These pumps would supply fuel for 1800 HP. The regulator used were two Bosch regulator from a Ford Falcon 6 cylinder that made about 200HP. On later engines I use just one dual entry Bosch regulator.

Use the standard regulator or a Bosch regulator from some other engine. You can also get Bosch regulators from you local Motec dealers as they sell them.

for an engine such as a 2JZGTE where the injectors have been changed from side-feed to top-feed with a different rail, is it recommended to machine up an adapter to allow the factory regulator to be retained?

it will be the diaphram in your reg... have had same prob with that type of fuel reg...

also check the boost fitting in the reg doent screw in too far as if it goes in too far it can cut the diaphram of the fuel reg..

we use the new turbosmart regs and aeromotive regs ...we find these 2 the best...

regards, mark

it will be the diaphram in your reg... have had same prob with that type of fuel reg...

also check the boost fitting in the reg doent screw in too far as if it goes in too far it can cut the diaphram of the fuel reg..

You will never get problems like this with stock regulator. I would not use the Turbosmart. I have had dealers report they are just as bad as the rest.

Guest Marcel B
Marcel,

I refuse to tune any engine that has a fuel pressure regulator that is not standard. Far too much time is wasted trying to tune engines due to so called "Performance" regulators. The rules are..if it is not factory it is no good. Using this rule means you never have problems.

I do not want to rave on about this...but why do you think you need a performance regulator. The standard regulator will handle much bigger pump flows in just about every case. If you do get fuel pressure creep at idle then use a regulator off a bigger engine.

I built twin turbo big block Chevy marine engines for years. These engines had either up to four Bosch electric pumps or in most cases a Enderle 80A mechanical pump. These pumps would supply fuel for 1800 HP. The regulator used were two Bosch regulator from a Ford Falcon 6 cylinder that made about 200HP. On later engines I use just one dual entry Bosch regulator.

Use the standard regulator or a Bosch regulator from some other engine. You can also get Bosch regulators from you local Motec dealers as they sell them.

I think I remember reading this on another forum :(

for an engine such as a 2JZGTE where the injectors have been changed from side-feed to top-feed with a different rail, is it recommended to machine up an adapter to allow the factory regulator to be retained?

This sounds easy enough to do I will start looking , thanks guys........., by the way , what about SARD FPR's are they any good ? anyone have experience with those ?

• 4 weeks later...