Water/Meth Injection Question

Guest |443|

What types of meth setups are people running in conjunction with the ViPEC? I know some people use their standalones to modulate the pump duty, or a PWM valve like the Aquamist uses. What is recommended with the ViPEC? Also, I guess I should state that I am planning to use meth as an additional fuel, not just for cooling properties, so a substantial amount will be ran.

Thanks,

Roman

Being I'm getting no replies (yet, I hope) from people who have done this, here's another idea. Being the Coolingmist and Snow kits can both take 0-5v inputs from a "MAF", I could set up a table to output a voltage, correct? And by doing that, I could control the flow of the unit entirely... Just a left-field idea, its after midnight and I've had a long day.

I am not ignoring your question, just never use any form of water injection. If I did, there would be an injector in each intake port so all cylinders get the same amount.

The control would use a PWM table and use injector time as one of the parameters. That way the amount of water injected would match the air flow as close as possible.

Ray.

I didn't mean to make you feel singled out Ray, but that you for your input, that seems exactly how I should set it up. Perhaps with only one nozzle tho. Richard@Aquamist says it should work perfectly fine, but from flow data, the middle cylinders will get more air and thus meth than the outer cylinders. I'm undecided at the moment.

One Bimmerforums member said his OEM plastic manifold leaked with 6 meth and 6 nitrous nozzles. How true that is, I am not sure, but he said it many many times. I suppose I could find out for myself, as another stock manifold is cheap compared to a proper aluminum solution.

If anyone has done W/A with their ViPEC, I'd love to hear about it!

Water/Methanol injection works well in the right application and the advantages are measureable. The only warning I have is that you better make sure your system is actually working when you and the ecu think is it. Especially considering you are using it as part of your engines fueling ie) Methanol. Also, even water alone will affect the air density and therefore the affect the engines fueling requirements. Your fuel and ignition maps will need to be tuned/corrected via 4d maps for it. I would make sure you impliment safety systems like water level, flow, pressure. I like Ray would be running direct port injection if were to impliment the system.

I have decided to go with an Aquamist system, either HFS-5 or -6, depending on what I can get for a reasonable price. I also have decided to go with direct port, and pray that they seal better than a BimmerForums member claimed his sealed (or didn't). I have 3 taps on the underside of the manifold, and with some JBWeld, they have sealed up just fine for the last ~8k.

The Aquamist can either receive a 0-5v signal, or an injector duty cycle. I'm not sure which way I want to go about implementing it, the IDC method seems far easier. Also, the Aquamist uses a flow sensor, and can output to the ViPEC as well as shut off the wastegate solenoid via a relay if I desire it to do so. I am not sure if I will just have it interface with the ViPEC and have the ViPEC drop boost, and change maps, we shall see. It makes sense to me to signal the ViPEC and let it drop boost, its more than capable of handling that obviously.

If i recall, the Aquamist has a timer relay, meaning that it sprays for a set time (spray, pause, spray) and not continuously else the pump will overheat and malfunction. Ensure the aux o/p from Vipec goes thru this relay or set up the map to have this timer built in.

Dont forget the one-way check valve (usually 1 bar) else you will be 'sucking' water/methanol from the high vacuum at idle .

Guest Marcel B

Although the Aquamist stuff is of a very high quality I think the design is still limited . I have found that the only way to have a fully functional and tuneable system is to merge the WI system with the ECU.I put together my "own" system using components from aqmist and a couple other manufacturers. I run a two staged system , the first stage consists of two jets , one in each intake runner of the intake manifold ,this stage is ment for detonation supression.Flow is controlled by my V88 via an HSV .The second uses a single jet spraying into the piping downstream the intercooler , this stage is meant for overall temperature controll , it also has its own HSV . I have switched from using two PWM outputs to one to control both HSV's on one map , the staging is achieved by opening each of the isolation solenoid valves at different boost pressure settings. The water flow at each stage is monitored by an Aquamist flow sensor and the water tank level is also monitored by the ECU . If either falls outside of the specified settings , I have set up the ECU to de-energize the boost solenoid , dropping boost back to wate gate spring pressure , and as I am sure you know , other safeties can be set up if no water flow is detected .

Although the Aquamist stuff is of a very high quality I think the design is still limited . I have found that the only way to have a fully functional and tuneable system is to merge the WI system with the ECU.I put together my "own" system using components from aqmist and a couple other manufacturers. I run a two staged system , the first stage consists of two jets , one in each intake runner of the intake manifold ,this stage is ment for detonation supression.Flow is controlled by my V88 via an HSV .The second uses a single jet spraying into the piping downstream the intercooler , this stage is meant for overall temperature controll , it also has its own HSV . I have switched from using two PWM outputs to one to control both HSV's on one map , the staging is achieved by opening each of the isolation solenoid valves at different boost pressure settings. The water flow at each stage is monitored by an Aquamist flow sensor and the water tank level is also monitored by the ECU . If either falls outside of the specified settings , I have set up the ECU to de-energize the boost solenoid , dropping boost back to wate gate spring pressure , and as I am sure you know , other safeties can be set up if no water flow is detected .
Hi Marcel, could you give me some pointers on how to configure the ViPEC for this? Ideally, this is what I want to do, but with just a single HSV, and six jets. Any help would be awesome!

Guest Marcel B
Hi Marcel, could you give me some pointers on how to configure the ViPEC for this? Ideally, this is what I want to do, but with just a single HSV, and six jets. Any help would be awesome!

Its not hard , you just need to identify the different outputs from the computer . An output that is capable of PWM control is required to pulse the HSV . When you select this the accompanying map is enabled , you then set up both axes , RPM vs Boost just as in the fuel maps. I opted to include an isolation solenoid valves as a precaution ,to avoid having water leak down into my motor by mistake. The solenoid valves are set to open at a pressure just under the start of injection to allow the system to properly prime. The water pump internally recycles at 150psi so the system is always pressured , I also have the ECU wired to start the pump wnen the PWM output is activated using a virtual output. One HSV will easily do what you want , you just need to set up the jets properly , I put together a similar system for my friends Turboed Civic , I had a water distribution rail (similar to a fuel rail) made up . one hose from the HSV in on one side and four hoses out the other , feeding each jet which were placed on each of the intake runners.

Guest Marcel B
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement my Meth Injection with proper safety checks in place...

For safety , i am using an Aquamist flow sensor on each stage and a water level sensor in the tank . I have a relay wired into the power supply to the boost solenoid , if either of the measured water flows fall outside what is specified at a pre determined boost the relay would be energized causing the boost solenoid to deenergize and boost pressure to drop to that of the waste gates (10psi). I have not connected the water level sensor yet , but I plan to integrate it with the rest of the system and maype shut down my ignition box or something.