Check Engine Light without error code

DavidB

I have the GT4+ installed in a 1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo.

The engine was rebuilt last year and I purchased GT4+. I had my first dyno tune last November, but was unable to get very far due to floating valves. I replaced the valve springs with heavy duty springs and upgraded the cams as well. I also replaced the hydraulic lifters. Before I started the cam work, I started the engine (car is garaged in the winter) just to check the car. No problems.

Every since the installation of the new cams, the Check Engine Lights stays on. There is no error code in the software. I don't understand why it doesn't give an error code.

I've attached the pcl file. Is there something I'm missing?

Many thanks! :)

072217EngineCode.pclr

Is it lit when the engine is of or also when running?

When key on only its supposed to be lit pr your settings.

Also injector output 7 (AF7) is on with the "test" function. Suggest turning that off or to whatever it was intended for if anything.

I see you are targeting 13.4 at idle. Any reason for that? What cams do you have?

Your idle solenoid is set to 20hz I bet you can hear it rattle pretty hard when its working. Try setting it to around 100hz (on my own car its set to 67hz). in the link basefile i beleive its at 200hz but i found it to be unresponsive at that.

You got a 4d fuel table activated that doesnt really make any sense. Also you got timing correction thats set to -1 degree all over on cylinder 1, 2 and 3. Intentional?

Edited by Steve

Thanks for the quick reply. 

The check engine light does stay on with the engine running. 

The cams are made by Jim Wolf Technology (JWT).  Here are the specs:

R5 VG30DE(TT) CAM SET 90-95 300ZX RACE 272/.385" [email protected]"+4 DEG ADV ON EX LC. MAXIMUM POWER CAMS. MUST USE JWT SPRINGS #AZ320-SPRNG AND 90-93 Z32 NEED SPROCKET ADAPTOR KIT AZ320-ADPTR. FITS: 300ZX (Z32), J30, ENGINES: VG30DE, VG30DETT,

As for the remaining questions, I'll have to discuss with my tuner. He's an authorized LinkECU dealer. I do have to drive a considerable distance to get to the tuner's shop. I have an appointment for July 31st. Do you see any of those issues as something that would prevent me from driving it 400 miles to tuner shop? I would take it easy until i have it tuned. 

Thank you very much. 

Thats the 500 cams, right?

No none of those things are an issue for your trip. Just little bits i noticed from looking through the file.

Turn of that injectordriver and see if it helps somehow. If not you can always do a pclog and post and we can see if anything obvious is "off". (Be sure to log everything! You make it so in the logging setup screen...)

Also injector output 7 (AF7) is on with the "test" function. Suggest turning that off or to whatever it was intended for if anything.

Inj7 is normally the FP relay in that car. 

Yes, it is the 500 cams.

I will get a log as well. Thank you very much.

There is a funny note in our internal schematic file for this ecu that makes me think there is possibly some variation on the location of the CE light pin on these cars.  Can you try setting Aux 7 function to off and see if your CE light goes out?  That will at least confirm that we are switching the correct pin on/off.

Steve, I have attached a log file. Thanks for the help!

Adam, As I was looking around in the software trying to figure out how to turn off Aux 7, I saw something interesting. It appears the Aux 7 is setup for the CE light. I took a screenshot to share what I saw. By the way, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I'm very new to this arena. I hope to learn. Thanks for the help!

My 500 mile trip to the tuner has been delayed until August 7th, so I very much appreciate all the help. I just don't want to drive it that far if there is a problem.

Capture.PNG

Log 2017-08-01 7;41.llg

Edited by DavidB

Yes aux 7 is CEL.

On the very left on the screen there are 4 vertical tabs. The top says ECU settings. Click that. Find "Auxiliary outputs" - Aux 7 and doubleclick that. Screen in picture apears. Doubbleclick on the top row "function      CE Light". A box appears. Scroll to the top and select "off". That Aux output is now off...

Now as for the number 7 injector channel that is set to "test on" and that Adam suggests is for fuelpump i suggest you navigate to it the same way as above and select "fuelpump" in that box and see what that does.

Screenshot 2017-08-01 19.13.37.png

As for your logfile... The Aux 7/Cel IS reported as OFF in the log. So thats weird... Anyway try to turn it of and test with that "fuelpump" output and report back...

Edited by Steve

Thanks Steve! 

I found Aux 7 as you described above. I turned it to "off" and it had no affect on my CE light. CE stayed on.

I then went to the fuel pump and I've attached what I saw. Hopefully, I found what you were you asking for, so please let me know if I need to find something else.

Thanks again :)

FuelPump.PNG

I just done a bit more research on the CE light.  It definitely is connected to pin 32/Aux 7 in all the schematics I can find.  So if the light stays on when you turn aux 7 off then you most likely have a wiring problem somewhere.  The wire that goes to pin 32 has been shorted to ground somewhere.