Dual Maps

Guest |471|

Guest |471|

Am running a V44 and was thinking off running E85, will also need to use 98 occasionally, is it possible to set up a dual map switchable on the dash etc ?

Yes you can. Go to Fuel-Fuel Corrections-Dual Fuel Table. You can do the same with ignition. Choose which condition when it will become active. ie DI#1 or what you prefer.

Guest |443|
With firmware 4.5.0 or latter there is support for E85 composite sensors. With one of these sensors in your fuel line you can have any percentage of E85 and petrol and the tune will change to suit mix.

Ray.

Hey Ray, which sensor does the ViPEC firmware support? And, how would one attach it to the fuel system? The sensors I have seen (GM) have really small lines. I don't think a 1/4" line will flow enough fuel for ~650whp, but I could be wrong...

Guest |320|
Hey Ray, which sensor does the ViPEC firmware support? And, how would one attach it to the fuel system? The sensors I have seen (GM) have really small lines. I don't think a 1/4" line will flow enough fuel for ~650whp, but I could be wrong...

Correct if I'm wrong, but I think you could just have the sensor in the return line to the tank. I think you need an interface from the sensor to the ViPec. Zeitronix makes one and Ray Hall makes one also I believe.

Guest |443|
The Siemens sensor, which is what the GM uses I am sure.

If the flow is not enough, you could split the fuel line at the sensor so only half the flow passes though the sensor. It is reading the percentage of ethanol and temperature not flow.

Ray.

Excellent info Ray. I thought that might work, but was of course hoping for a solution offering better packaging. I'm sure I can figure out a way to fit it in tho. If only it could be submerged in the fuel tank. My chassis just doesn't have much spare room for this sort of thing. Oh well, yet another project!

• 7 months later...

4.7.0 firmware will directly read the GM Flexfuel sensor. You can setup a table to make corrections based on ethanol content. Coming is full flexfuel sensor support. You will be able to tune on any ethanol percentage and the tune will always be correct, not matter what percentage is in the tank.

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4.7.0 firmware will directly read the GM Flexfuel sensor. You can setup a table to make corrections based on ethanol content. Coming is full flexfuel sensor support. You will be able to tune on any ethanol percentage and the tune will always be correct, not matter what percentage is in the tank.

Ray.

Ok let me know if I understand how it works. You will fully tune your car on E98, then fully tune the car on pump gas. Then the ECU will be able to interpolate between these two maps base on how much Ethanol you have in your tank? Ex. If on E98 you get 500whp at 30PSI and on pump gas you get 300whp at 15PSI, and you have let's say E80 on your tank the the ECU will run the car at let's say 20PSI and probably 400whp?

With the flexfuel sensor fitted and the firmware that is coming, you will be able to tune on any amount of ethanol from 85 % to 0% and the tune will be correct at all times. You will not have to tune on E85 and then on straight petrol.

Ray.

NICE! Do you have any timeframe for it? I'm really interested in the V88 and this feature will be AWESOME. Also is the ECU going to be able to compensate for cold start map, throttle enrich etc..when you run different amounts of ethanol?

This feature should be available in April. The flexfuel sensor is already supported, but the cold start and other fuel compensations are still been tested.

Thank you very much sir.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this feature.

Just to clarify, my car is at the moment mapped on 98octane and 550whp@2bar boost and I will get it mapped on E85 when they start selling it closer to the summer. After the mapping is done I can connect the flexifuel sensor and set it up correctly and it will automatically adjust the fueling and ignition without any further mapping?

Thats sounds sweet, then I dont have to empty the tank every time I switch from 98 to E85, and I dont have to think about wether its a E85 gas station around the corner or not.

• 8 months later...
Guest nterry84

That is the plan how it will work.

Ray I have a question about this, my mr2 3sgte has been tuned on e85 and years later i am just adding the flex fuel sensor. I have been reading on the board about this issue, and i am wondering if the ecu automatically changes the mixture and igntion with the sensor hooked up and setting it up on one of the DI inputs or does it need to be retuned again?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nterry84
It will need tuning to sort out how much timing / fuel needs to be adjusted based on ethanol content.

Do you have any information on how to set these tables up so i can get that info over to the tuner?

Guest nterry84
You need to use a 4D or 5d table and span the table on Ethanol % and Ethanol Temp

This table then is always on and works as a correction on the main map.

Ok so based on these valuesa inputed in the table the ecu automatically adjusts for the two variables as you stated for ignition +/- and fuel +/- ?