CAN bus start command

Richard Hill

Hello,

I am replacing a factory ECU with a thunder.  In the original ECU the start command comes from the body control module (after interlock checks) via can bus.

I will be wiring the thunder to control engine start via an aux out and a digital in, which input should I select in the can receive menu to enable can bus start?  

Many thanks ,

Richard. 

I may have worked out the answer.  I don't think you can use the PClinks/ECUs built in starter control with CAN inputs.  

But, I guess I can use a GP aux output with CAN digital status as an input ANDed with RPM <400 AND clutch switch depressed? to give similar functionality.

Richard.

Yeah, unfortunately, we havent had a request or need to implement "start position" parameter over CAN receive yet.  If your button is only "start" and not the same button for start/stop then your proposal above should work.  Depending on how many spare I/O you have you another option would be to hard-wire an aux output to a DI set up as start position, then control that aux via CAN.  This is the way you would go if your button needed the start/stop logic.

2 more questions on the subject of CAN , is it OK to connect CAN 1 and CAN 2 to the same bus, and then use 12 CAN channels?

The PC Link manual states in the CAN setup section:-

· Byte Order - Configure whether the Most Significant bit comes first (MS first or Big endian) or the Least Significant bit comes first (LS first or Little endian).

image.png.2153a5df812923e2956c249b454f6fcd.png

This statement seems to be ambiguous as bit endianness and byte endianness are two different things.  Does it just bit swap or byte swap ? (from what i can gather i think its a byte swap only)