Subaru ECU compatibility issues

Lucidchaos

To keep things short, I have a 2002 WRX that just got a USDM 2006 STI engine with AVCS installed. My tuner informed me that my ECU is not compatible and I don’t want to go with the 04 STI ECU because I would have to change my DBC to DBW and many other wires. I’ve been researching standalone PNP models like the Megasquirt 3 Pro but my tuner is unsure if that ECU will work with the AVCS. Does anyone know if it can or will work with the engine? Or maybe there are other standalone ECU’s I could go with that would work with my car/engine set up? I really don’t want to have to swap the heads. Thanks

• 2 months later...

I think UK WRX's of that age did not have AVCS and certainly not DBW.

DBW only appeared on UK models 2006+

AVCS was present on older STI models, but all cable throttle.

US models varied again, with DBW appearing on earlier cars and pretty sure different wiring pinouts than their EU/UK/JDM counterparts

One would have to ask...why such a substantial change in engine ? Cam triggers will be different in your 06+ engine vs the older 2002 engine as well as the obvious DBW and AVCS aspects.

• 4 weeks later...

HI if you have a G4+ plug in ecu in your 2002 WRX which in uk is a bug eye, a 2006 engine will work on this ecu if you swap the inlet manifold to the 2002 one with cable.The VVT can be wired in if its single AVCS i.e inlet cams only the instructions are in the manual what DI channels can be used for vvt input and which outputs to use for solenoids.I fitted a 2004 spec C engine into a 92 impreza worked a treat hope this helps.