Mercedes M65 supercharger, Bypass valve question

MarcD

supercharger off a C230 Mercedes Kompressor.

believe its an M65 (or M62)

has an electronically actuated bypass valve. this has 6 pins in the connector.

does anyone have any idea how to wore this upto Link G4+ so I can control bypass based on TPS output?

thanks!
Marc

I found this, not sure if its relevant though, or how it would allow control?438351467_bypasspinouts.JPG.c1c8d08816d0220e2ff256bf46b0641f.JPG

That appears to be a DC servo motor, our ecu's dont have any way to control that directly.  There may be 3rd party controllers that would take a PWM from an aux output to control it but it is not something i have come across before.

Just found this. which suggests its a PWM valve, with redundancy on the throttle plate feedback.

am told its the same as the E throttles.

am trying to set it up as  GP PWM. would that make sense?

Screenshot_20180619-164644.png

On 6/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, MarcD said:

am trying to set it up as  GP PWM. would that make sense?

No, as I mentioned earlier this is a DC Servo motor (you are right, just like DBW).  Although PWM is involved, it is not just PWM, it needs a push-pull type output so polarity is reversed to move it in the other direction.  It also probably needs to be done with some sort of closed loop strategy to make it a smooth transition from open to closed.

The only way I can think of doing it would be a 3rd party controller like this:  https://www.vexrobotics.com/217-8080.html

I have never used one, have no idea how difficult they are to program and there are possibly much cheaper options out there - this is just the first one I come across in a search that has PID built in.  Basically it would take a generic PWM signal from the ECU and use that to drive the motor open/closed or to whatever position you wanted.

thanks Adam

have been digging further, and playing a bit today, before reading your response (thank you!). I'll type findings here, just in case it changes the outcome (fingers crossed!)

can get the flap to snap shut with 12 V, it snaps back to open when disconnected.

with GP PWM connected, (12 V to motor+ and GP PWM driving to 0v to Motor- )and set at 10 or 20 hz, it buzzes when its activated on TP%, but  no movement of throttle plate.

the unit is  a  Bosch Throttle body that MB re purposed as a diverter valve.

its Merc part number is 1110980109

which is now superseded by 1110980050

Bosch part number 0280750467

does that change anything?

TB_1.JPG.a92735d8ddd892a616f06222b12e39ea.JPG

SC_1.thumb.JPG.794d0ce530dd7d53b8c211beebb695ad.JPG

image.png

21 hours ago, MarcD said:

does that change anything?

No unfortunately it is still a DC servo that is designed to work with a position based control strategy.  The E-throttle system in our ECU's is too deeply woven in to the firmware as throttle control so it cant be used for another purpose. 

Your only options are a 3rd party controller as I mentioned earlier or if you are happy to just have slam open/slam closed type control you could do it with one aux and a reversing relay circuit.

Thanks Adam 

Further research suggests this might be suitable. 

https://www.pololu.com/product/1379

Or even a cheap arduino board or jaycar equivalent. 

https://breadboards.co.nz/products/dual-h-bridge-motor-stepper-motor-relay-coil-etc-driver-for-arduino?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=47411665679&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzduf1Pjr2wIVVRuPCh2Ilg6fEAQYBSABEgKLfPD_BwE

Can I control /calibrate the gp pwm based on the feedback from the internal potentiometers? Then have it either a) based on tp% or b) map? 

as an update, am using a Pololu high powered motor driver.

using the GP PWM output to provides drive to the motor driver. I've  now set up an Aux out as a Boost solenoid.

putting this onto the logical DIrection pin of the motor driver, allows me to control the blade through duty cycle. 

just fine tuning now and understanding all the tables and in/outputs for the boost control.

using the boost control as the direction control. I can only get the GP PWM to drive the motor closed, it returns to open on its  spring. I haven't been able to control the position of the blade using this function alone in locked antiphase mode (one PWM input)

with the Boost control as PWM input to the direction, I have power to the motor from GP PWM, and can reverse it to drive it open / closed using the Boost control PW

also, the closed loop function is tantalizing, pegging the blade position against desired manifold pressure at various revs 

But why the boost control function to do the direction control - what does that do that a 2nd GP PWM doesnt?  I would have thought the extra conditions that you get with a GP PWM would have been useful.  Is it because you only have an ignition drive or something?

14 minutes ago, Adamw said:

But why the boost control function to do the direction control - what does that do that a 2nd GP PWM doesnt?  I would have thought the extra conditions that you get with a GP PWM would have been useful.  Is it because you only have an ignition drive or something?

its a fair point. I hadnt thought of using a 2nd GP pwm output for direction. However, as you say, there are no available aux outputs on the expansion connector 1 or 2 .

how would you configure the boost control to do as required?

thanks Adam