Link fury rx7 13b startup issues

Zensation

Hello hopefully i am in the right spot, i have just finished installing a new fury ecu into my 93 rx7 and used the s6 basemap from the extreme.  I set the crank to reluctor multitooth 12 tooth trigger priority set to trigger 1.  After turning over for a minite it fired up but then dies immediately.  After that the engine is making no compression. Im wondering if the timing is far enough off with the basemap to completely blow aN engine at sub 1000rpm levels?  Does thebase map come calibrated to the factory trigger setup on an rx7?  

You are meant to check it with a timing light, but no I highly doubt you could ever damage one at idle with near closed throttle.  Turn fuel off, check base timing.  Attach your map so we can take a look.  What size injectors etc?

well thats good to hear but the the engine made excellent compression before cranking up the first time. i actually have a video and it fired up for less than 2 seconds.  just fired and then died immediately.  Here is my map that I have I didnt think to turn logging on pre crank.  wish i had now

RX7 S6 G4+Fury with internal lambda.pclr

sorry wrong file this is it...

RX7 S6 G4+Fury with internal lambda.pclr

they are titled the same but the first one was old and in another location on my drive.

This is not our RX7 base map?  It looks like maybe the fury XR6 base map? 

If this is an FD with the crank mounted trigger then the timing would be close you have an offset set to 1deg, our S6 basemap has -7 so that means you might be a little more advanced compared to standard but still its not going to hurt anything. 

How are you checking compression - with a proper rotary tool that records all three chambers?

Looking at your map I have a few suggestions:

1. Turn off launch control.
  2. Turn off traction control.
  3. Turn off gear shift control.
  4. Turn off knock control.
  5. Turn off dual fuel tables and dual ignition tables for now.
  6. Turn off VVT.
  7. Turn fuel off.  Check base timing (or set it to -7 like our S6 base map).
  8. Coolant temp is reading 96deg, that means you will be getting no warm up enrichment.  Fix the sensor if it is reading incorrectly.
  9. Clean spark plugs.
  10. Turn fuel back on.
  11. Have another go at starting.  This time start the logger before cranking.  If it doesnt fire try adjusting the engine capacity up or down - this is a quick way to fudge in more or less fuel to see if either helps.

I noticed some weird settings but I started off by opening the extreme base map and then made all my changes like injectors and i/o etc.  and then plugged n to my fury and did a store.  idk if something happened when i did that like bringing over the settings from the ecu or something?  Anyways I have a rotary compression tester.  i tested the engine while it was down, its been down for a year doing single turbo swap and the Fury is a part of that.  Before starting it today it had very strong pulses on all faces but now it just spins freely and i hear no compression while cranking.  I need to go through some more mechanicals.  

Ok i recreated a the map using the fury base map will load this....also the water temp is accurate its just hot here. 

01_RX7 Fury Basemap.pclr

Set fuel mode to modeled rather than modeled-multifuel for initial start up.  Maybe also revisit the staging table - it looks like they would start to come in at about idle vacuum in that map.  Fuel table numbers will need changing to something from a modeled map.  I suggest open up the Monsoon base map, go to its fuel table, right mouse click and go import/export>export to clipboard.  Then open your map, go to fuel table, right click, >import from clipboard, you will then have a roughly close fuel table.

Turn off the rotary oil pump aux outputs if you dont have one, the ecu will apply a limiter if it doesnt see feedback from that.

• 1 month later...

On 10/5/2018 at 4:50 AM, Adamw said:

Set fuel mode to modeled rather than modeled-multifuel for initial start up.  Maybe also revisit the staging table - it looks like they would start to come in at about idle vacuum in that map.  Fuel table numbers will need changing to something from a modeled map.  I suggest open up the Monsoon base map, go to its fuel table, right mouse click and go import/export>export to clipboard.  Then open your map, go to fuel table, right click, >import from clipboard, you will then have a roughly close fuel table.

Turn off the rotary oil pump aux outputs if you dont have one, the ecu will apply a limiter if it doesnt see feedback from that.

Hey Adam,

Thanks again for the help last month turned out that the Issue was siezed apex seals not creating compression.  I have rebuilt the engine now and Im giving this another shot.  I have uploaded the ECU file i will use.  I took into account what you have pointed out so far. 

One question is the secondary injection staging table will not allow me click axis setup to change my axis.  I would prefer to use MGP instead of MAP if possible.  Also id like to change those numbers...any info you can offer on doing this would be awesome. 

02_RX7 Basemap.pclr