Setting up individual Wide Band sensors on a G4+ plugin Evo 8

roni4g63

Hey guys, first of all thank you for taking the time out to read this post. 

I have been on a link g4+ Plug in for a while now, and have been tuning stock ecu evo's and a few link ecu setups here and there. My previous build on the evo 8 made 1028 WHP and due to my own stupidity of using open loop boost control, one night in 4th gear I had a really bad boost spike (65+ psi) and it lifted the head. During this, I managed to crack my block around the coolant port near one of the head stud holes, bent one of my rods, and balooned the top of one of the cylinders. 

Almost a year has gone by and now I own my own shop here in California. Like mentioned before, I deal a lot with the stock evo ECU using the open source interface and have had no engines give on me so far (Knock on wood)

My new set up (Even though it is irrelevant to my question here) is the following:

.Custom Diamond 10:1 Alloy rod spec Long rod pistons

.Vader 156mm aluminum connecting rods

.Callies billet 88mm crankshaft (super aerofinish to avoid excessive crank windage)

.King xp series bearings all around

.1/2 Inch L19 ARP head studs

.1/2 Concrete filled block

.Kiggly race valve springs (131lbs of seat pressure without shims)

.Kelford 288 camshafts (12mm exhaust valve lift, 11.5mm intake valve lift)

.FP Super 99 Turbocharge (72mm with a .82 AR v-band hotside)

My question is this. I have already purchased the CAN to PCB harness, I already have an aem 4 channel UEGO controller with all 4 sensors. I am aware that I do need an exhaust pressure sensor to compensate for the individual widebands that are pre turbine, but my main question is the wiring of the CAN to PCB unit to the AEM unit as I am not the most knowledgable when it comes to electronics. I need to figure out how to set this up before the car goes on my dyno within the next2-3 weeks, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

-Roni @ JRP Performance

IMG_7463.jpg

Adam, thank you for the response. Question, could you send me a link of the can F connector so I purchase the correct one for my needs? Thank you sir. Also, thoughts on the exhaust backpressure sensor to compensate for pre turbine pressures?

4 hours ago, roni4g63 said:

could you send me a link of the can F connector so I purchase the correct one for my needs?

In this case since it is a small item it might be best to soruce it yourself from an electronics supply, Search mouser or digikey for part number AU-06BFFA-LL7001.  

4 hours ago, roni4g63 said:

Also, thoughts on the exhaust backpressure sensor to compensate for pre turbine pressures?

For the AEM UEGO, the EMAP sensor must be connected direct to the AEM device so it must match their calibration.  Their kit is part number 30-2064.  If you want to assemble your own kit then just make sure your sensor uses the common calibration 0.5V = 0psi, 4.5V = 100psi.

The ecu can still receive the exhaust pressure over CAN bus from the AEM for logging etc.

• 4 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 5:36 PM, Adamw said:

Just CAN H & CAN L to connect to the CANPCB, just like below:

7Mi4T5i.png

I would like to install a AEM 4 Channel Wideband UEGO Controller on my plug'in G4+ ecu, but according to the budget, I would like to make sure it will works.
https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/wideband-uego-air-fuel-controllers/4-channel-wideband-uego-afr-controller

instructions Manual :
https://www.aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-2340 4-Channel Wideband UEGO AFR Controller.pdf

I already have instal a LINK CAN Lambda in my CAN bus 1 port.
Can you confirm that wiring AEM CAN H and CAN L to CAN bus 2 port of my G4+, it will works ?

Also, is it possible to have some assistance to know how to config in my CAN menu ?

thanks in advance
Xavier

18 hours ago, xAv said:

I would like to install a AEM 4 Channel Wideband UEGO Controller on my plug'in G4+ ecu, but according to the budget, I would like to make sure it will works.

Yes, I have set up a couple of these before, they work well.

18 hours ago, xAv said:

I already have instal a LINK CAN Lambda in my CAN bus 1 port.
Can you confirm that wiring AEM CAN H and CAN L to CAN bus 2 port of my G4+, it will works ?

Yes you can do that.  Another option is to re-program the Link CAN Lambda to 500K (can be done with PC Link), then you can have the AEM and Link device both on the same bus.

19 hours ago, xAv said:

Also, is it possible to have some assistance to know how to config in my CAN menu ?

Yes, I can set that up for you once you decide which bus you are going to connect them and whether you want the Link to be "Lambda 1" or "Lambda 5".

Thanks a lot Adamw for your support.

This mounting will not be permanent, just for adjust fueling balance, after made, I think only one lambda post turbo will be enough to control.

So I can use bus 2.

Actually, Link CAN Lambda is plug on bus 1 as "Lambda 1".

I will first buy AEM parts, prepare holes on the exhaust manifold, , wirering and come back latter.

• 1 month later...

Hello,
I come back as parts received and fitted on the car.

4lambda.thumb.jpg.21dc80c5b1f255cae3672c2d75bddb47.jpg

Still waiting after Can connection from AEM to Can 2 on the Link ecu, and I will be able to test.

Any assistance in configuring the Can menu would be very appreciated :)

Download the 2 stream files I have attached. Make sure the AEM device is set up for "mode 1".

Set up like this:

mode: user defined, bit rate: 500k.

channel 1 = receive user stream 1, ID 31, format extended.

channel1.png

Channel 2 = receive user stream 2, ID 431, extended.

channel2.png

Now go to the streams tab, click on stream 1 in the left panel so it is highlighted, then click "load stream", load in the stream 1 LCs file.  Do the same for stream 2 except choose the stream 2 LCs file.

load.png 

The AEM widebands will come into pc link as Lambda2-5.

AEM 4ch stream1 ID31.lcs AEM 4ch stream2 ID431.lcs

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 3:33 AM, Adamw said:

Download the 2 stream files I have attached. Make sure the AEM device is set up for "mode 1".

Set up like this:

mode: user defined, bit rate: 500k.

channel 1 = receive user stream 1, ID 31, format extended.

channel1.png

Channel 2 = receive user stream 2, ID 431, extended.

channel2.png

Now go to the streams tab, click on stream 1 in the left panel so it is highlighted, then click "load stream", load in the stream 1 LCs file.  Do the same for stream 2 except choose the stream 2 LCs file.

load.png 

The AEM widebands will come into pc link as Lambda2-5.

AEM 4ch stream1 ID31.lcs 729 B · 2 downloads AEM 4ch stream2 ID431.lcs 354 B · 2 downloads

Adam, would it be possible to have a version of the AEM 4 channel streams you made here that allow the AEM widebands to come into PC Link as Lambda 1-4, and have the Can Lambda as Lambda 5?

I'm performing a similar install, using Canbus 2 on my ECU where Can Lambda already resides, so will also be reprogramming that to run at 500K just like the AEM, but I would like to have Lambda 1 be cylinder 1, etc. and then have Lambda 5 be my Can Lambda.

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, Adamw said:

Attached is the stream 1 file to assign the AEM device to Lambda 1-4.  You can re-program the Link CAN lambda to lambda 5 in the "CAN devices" tab of the CAN setup.

AEM 4ch stream1 - Lam1-4 ID31.lcs 729 B · 0 downloads

Adam,

I have the initial AEM 4CH stream you posted in this thread working on my ECU, but I am unable to see any of the error codes or status data that the AEM also puts out over CAN. I had discussed with you a few weeks ago about somehow getting this stuff going, but at the time, I was having issues with my AEM wideband that we both determined needed to be sorted out. It has since had a firmware update, and I'm ready to try again with regard to having the AEM error codes and status data show up on my G4+, just as it does for my Link CAN LAMBDA. 

Including a copy of my calibration for your perusal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qotsocdkxquej5/Current Map rev 0.77 - with Can lambda and new canbus settings for more parameters.pclr?dl=0

Thanks!

3 hours ago, jigga009 said:

I have the initial AEM 4CH stream you posted in this thread working on my ECU, but I am unable to see any of the error codes or status data that the AEM also puts out over CAN.

It is not possible to decode them all since they are sent as bit fields.  The stream below will give you the common errors for Lambda 1 using the CAN DIG inputs (you can view these on the runtimes screen).  Set it up with ID 431, extended format.

CAN DIG 1 will indicate "AFR1 Ready"

CAN DIG 2 will indicate "AFR 1 Heater open Error"

CAN DIG 3 will indicate "AFR 1 VM Error"

and so on down the list.

The LED's on the device give pretty much the same information so Im not sure how useful it is.

kEbQa3L.png

AEM Errors ID431.lcs

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've install and configure all like listed before, and have no data.

All green light on the AEM box are alight and fixed after warming up, so looks ok.

I feel a CAN communication trouble.

Terminal resistance problem ? how to test different issues possible ? I'm not expert of CAN...

thanks so much

Xavier

On CAN 1 you have channel 1 set to "Transmit User stream 1", then on CAN 2 you have channel 1 set to "receive user stream 1", You cant send and receive the same User stream.  

So as a quick test, turn off channel 1 on CAN 1.  I still dont think this is your only problem but worth a try.  

Can you attach some photos of how the AEM device is connected to the ECU.

Can you also give us a photo of the back side of that DTM4S so we can confirm the H/L are in the correct positions.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, jigga009 said:

I was having issues with my AEM wideband that we both determined needed to be sorted out. It has since had a firmware update, and I'm ready to try again with regard to having the AEM error codes and status data show up on my G4+

I don't remember what Jigga009's problem was but vaugley recall he didn't have comms until he done the firmware update.

we can not see the wiring at the back side of the DTM4S because of protections, but I've change the pins entry to feet well H/L.  I've check this point 3 times to be sure :)

I will try to contact AEM also about this firmware.

• 2 weeks later...

The firmware update on the AEM is not done by the user. The box has to go back to AEM in California for that. You'll need to give AEM a call and go over some debugging steps over the phone with them before they will give you an RMA number. 

Before sending it in though, you might want to confirm that the unit is not in fact sending data over the 0-5V lines. AEM will likely have you test for that. 

Confirm that your ECU CAN (i.e CAN1 or CAN 2) line that the AEM is attached to has the correct resistor bridging the end of the wires. As has been mentioned, the ECU has a resistor on its end, but you need to install another resistor on the other end of your CAN line from the ECU. 

Also ensure that the CAN wires are twisted as suggested. 

Also ensure that you are tapping into the correct ECU CAN H and CAN L lines with your AEM CAN H and CAN L lines.

Other thing I would suggest is to take a look at the Link CAN settings. It is easy to think that you have it set up correctly to receive from the AEM, when in fact you don't. It took me a while to figure this out. If it is not set up for the right frequency, you won't see any of the data that the unit is transmitting over CAN. If I were to take a guess, I'd think that this might be your problem.

I also had to modify one of the leads and remove the power and ground wires, leaving just the CAN H and CAN L in the DTM plug. I was then able to attach a small branch to my main CANBUS line from the ECU with corresponding DTM plug. This allows the ability to remove the AEM setup from the main CANBUS line by simply unplugging it from the main ECU CAN line. 

Something to be aware of with the AEM though is that you won't be receiving any of the trouble codes built into the unit when using it with the Link. You will just have to take a look at the unit itself to know if there is an issue requiring your attention. Pretty much all you will be receiving is the AFRs for each probe and the EGBP. 

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.