Thunder cam sensor on high RPM turbo engine

jmcpower

Hi everyone ,

I would like to ask if a reluctance type sensor , two pin wiring plug will be good for my high rpm turbo 4 cylinder application. 

Max rpm will be 9800, I am using the Link Thunder ECU with full dequential staged modeled injection and coil per cylinder (AEM 30-2853 inductive smart coil).

The motor is a Lancia Delta Integrale 4 cylinder 2.0l with the cam sensor fitted on the distributor which will be now used only as a cam reference case holding the cam sensor  as shown on the pictures below. It has two reference points and i will grind off one of them so i can use the following tuning specs on Trigger 2 : cam Pulse 1X

For Trigger 1  crank sensor i will be using a magnetic reluctor sensor with a 60-2 trigger wheel . Same as used in the past for Electromotive Tec3r ecu.

I am aware of the synchronization of the two trigger sensors needed by Link thunder ecu and this is taken into account .

My question is if this type of cam sensor will be good for a high rev application 4 cyl engine?

Thanks in advance , 

Mike.

20181225_183701.jpg

20181225_183750.jpg

20180928_184015.jpg

20180927_181658 b.jpg

20180922_180424 b.jpg

What's a duel table ?

For dwell, it's entirely up to you, nominally they will say 2.5ms is enough time to give the quote spark energy they claim. Some will charge them for longer than this though. Whether you need more charge time is entirely up to you and your setup.

It's been a while since I tested, but from memory I think they saturate around 5-6ms. Depending on engine rpm though, you may or may not have that sort of charge time available anyway.

Hi Steve,

Sorry  I meant to write Dwell...(:

Below are the specs for the Ignition coils that i will be using .

I have  filled up the Dwell table with a max 8.5ms and no more than 40% duty cycle at any rpm /voltage range with my Coil per plug set up.

Between 1000 and 2000 rpm where the engine will spent more time (idle) I have reduced the Dwell time to 4 ms  so to keep the coils slightly cooler and increase reliability. 

Will spark duration on Ignition Main correspond to Arc Duration: 2.9mS +/- 10% as seen below ?

Also having the coils  1 inch close to the fuel injectors , could this cause any kind of interference ?

Thanks in advance  for  all your help!!

Mike.

• Output (no load): 40kV minimum
  • Output (50pF load): 40kV +/- 10%
  • Output Energy: 103 mJ +/- 7%
  • Peak Secondary Current: 102 mA +/- 10%
  • Arc Duration: 2.9mS +/- 10%
  • Turns Ratio 71:1
  • Maximum Current: 19 Amps
  • Maximum Battery Voltage: 17 Volts
  • Base Dwell: 3.0 mS
  • Max Continuous Dwell: 9 mS but don’t exceed 40% duty cycle
  • Max Intermittent Dwell: 80% duty cycle, 5 seconds maximum
  • Mating Connector: Packard/Delphi 12162825 “Pull to Seat”
  • Mating Contacts: Packard/Delphi 12124075 “Pull to Seat”
  • High Tension Wire Terminal: HEI “spark plug top” Styl

Snapshot(4).png

8 hours ago, jmcpower said:

I have  filled up the Dwell table with a max 8.5ms and no more than 40% duty cycle at any rpm /voltage range with my Coil per plug set up.

You will not need anything like that.  2.0 ramping up to 3.0ms at peak cylinder pressure is about all you will need for most applications.  Only give it more if you find a misfire at high cylinder pressures.  Anything more and the coils are just going to run hotter and die faster.  These coils were originally designed to replace CDI on a 2 stroke Mercury outboard so they are designed specifically to put out high energy with a short charge time.  They will certainly put out more energy with higher dwells if needed but one of my customers has them on a 300HP/cyl 70psi methanol engine and only needs 4.5ms.  They actually put out a fairly hefty spark even at 2.0ms.

Will spark duration on Ignition Main correspond to Arc Duration: 2.9mS +/- 10% as seen below ?

This setting only really comes into play on a V8 with a distributor where there is a lack of cycle time to charge and discharge the coil 8 times per cycle.  If the ECU knows the spark duration it can automatically shorten dwell time at high RPM if it is not going to fit into the available cycle time.  Put 2.0ms in there and that will never come into play in your case anyway.

Also having the coils  1 inch close to the fuel injectors , could this cause any kind of interference ?

Highly unlikely, I dont expect any issues here.