2JZ VVTI cam position issues

wastegate

Hi Guys,

Hopefully can get some guidenence here in regards to the VVTI config for my Link G4+.

I currently getting what looks like pulsed Inlet cam control, but sometimes it seems steady. Attached screenshot of what I'm seeing.

I'm currently using a TALT+ Altezza PnP on a 2JZGTE VVTI from a Aristo in a IS300. Loom has been repinned to suit Altezza plugin and IO reassigned etc. Just wanted to get an idea on the config for the VVTI control on the 2JZ. I've set it up with the defaults as far as PCLink is concerned in VVT setup, selected Toyota 2JZ as Cam control (tried 1JZ too). PID is default (have not been game enough to try this yet). VVT solenoid is on AUX1, 300HZ (tried 100HZ too), CAM type is Inlet /LH. Trigger 2 VVT is reluctor, offset to 175 ATDC. Confirmed offset with Cam Angle test.

2019-08-05-14-41-44-PCLink-Engine-Manage

Scott's Map 07052019 - Flex Tune - Nick edit 03082019 - cold start better - new VVTI map WIP.pclr Log 2019-08-5 1;36;11 pm.llg

unless you've got oil flow issues to the vvt solenoid (blocked screen, old oil, watery oil), then that looks like PID overshoot on the VVT control solenoid. Swap to custom PID mode and increase the D value by 1-2, or reduce I by 0.01-0.02. Try again after each change as you need to be very careful with these settings to prevent advance when you really dont want it. The ECU will warn you "here there be dragons" when you tell it to switch to custom PID mode for VVT - take it seriously.

I have seen this before on a 2JZ, as per CJ's advice, change to custom PID, usually just halving the P is all it needs.  I suspect it may be caused by oil viscosity as I have also seen many control well with the default settings.  The original factory recommended viscosity in these engines is quite thin, 0W/20 or 5W/30 from memory.

Thanks blokes! Managed a little bit of both and seems to have settled it down. Still a small about of wavey (2 corrections) at the transition but quickly aligns and follows the target. Will fine tune the PID tomorrow to get it even better but will do for now.

Cheers

Nick