BMW S50B32 DUAL VANOS - Int vanos Error

ST205

Hi,

We have installed the link g4+ plugin for m50tuB25 engine (and ofcourse converted the harness to suit all in/outputs for S50B32 + diode removal vanos).
The thing is that we got the car up and running and vanos on exhaust side is working perfect. However,  we get errors on the intake vanos.
What happens is that the Intake position switches from 0° to around 66° and back when it sees a target value of >0°. (Almost as if it drives the solenoid the opposite direction).

Possible solutions we have already tried ourselves:

• Reversing polarity Vr-sensor intake
  • Reversing outputs Retard and Advance
  • Rechecked the wiring
  • New attempt on Cam test angle (switched back off afterwards)

Attached are:

• Log file
  • Trigger scope
  • Map

Any suggestions on whats causing this?

(The car is still on the dyno so any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!)

Edited by ST205
Not enough upload capacity

When you do the cam angle test on the LH inlet, using a test pulse count of 6, are the reported cam angle numbers reasonably stable - say within 1 or 2 deg?  Can you note down those numbers and list them here.

The cam angle numbers that where showing when you saved the tune are a bit odd in that 3 of them are the same number.

I dont see too much else wrong in your setup.

keqDx6N.png

Hi adam,

The cam angle numbers are stable within 1-2°(img_0046) but every once in a while (assuming when cam error occurs) it loses this position (img_0047).

I assumed that the "S52 cam control mode" is usable for the S50B32 euro (with reference to last page of this topic 

Is it possible that i made the wrong assumption and a custom cam control mode has to be made?

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Edited by ST205

Ok, I had a play around on the simulator with your tune and compared it to the S52 pattern.  Your trigger pattern matches pretty well (6+1 teeth on exhaust and 6 evenly spaced on intake), but there is a small difference somewhere that is upsetting the sync, Im not sure if its the trigger offset (position of crank gap) or position of the cams but your cam teeth angles are way different.  

I set up the simulator to duplicate the triggerscope you attached earlier and the intake cam angles in the pic above.  To make the VVT system happy I had to change the offset on both cams by 1 tooth (120deg).  

So try your Exhaust cam offset (trigger 2 VVT settings) at 150 ATDC, and set your DI2 offset to 166ATDC.  Report back how that goes.   

Hi adam,

Tahnks for the prompt reply!

I have entered the suggested values (150° DI2 and 166° Trigg2) but the problem still persists (as seen in video attached)
I will check all vanos related wiring (again). Other than that i'm running out of ideas...

Edited by ST205

Can you confirm that the exhaust cam position is now steady and not bouncing around like it was in the last log.  In my testing this upsets the sync of the intake cam, so I think we we need to get the exhaust stable first.

ZQ1aYrP.png

Yes, Exhaust cam position is now steady and folowing target as supposed to (attached: Log 2) (though PID may need some tweeking)
(reason: I have found that the exhaust vanos(retard pin) was not in the correct plug position. Also rechecked all vanos intake wiring but did not find any deviations).

What strikes me is that:

EDIT: Forum says "attachment quota has been reached" Can you reset this?

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

Log 2.llg

Adam,

The cam pos also drifted when vanos unplugged but now we have a stable intake cam position (by reversing sensor polarity) . https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QG8Dq5Mok2AIxUmyj9OCoI4ycY0V8ls_ 

Cam offsets are now: 

• 47° Intake
  • 112° Exhaust

However, the problem with intake cam position still exists when cam target >0°  (Log attached + Video link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y2VY-yMnHB8_yFGu-3oZct1V08CFdmpU)
...the frustrating part about this is that it concerns a customer's car that we just can't give up on.

Log_3.llg

Im lost, I cant reproduce what you are seeing here with any variation that I try.  Can you try these couple of extra tests to see if it gives me any clues:

Try intake offset at 27.  Try intake offset at 67.  Try intake offset at 120.  These may show if the cam is moving backwards (maybe solenoids reversed?)

Your offset of 112 on exhaust is normal (according to out s52 capture ~116).  , but the intake I expect should normally be around 108.  

According to the help file you have the wrong solenoids connected to the wrong aux outputs, can you confirm this:

JguLifF.png

Adam, thank you for all support and patience... I can confirm that all vanos are working fine now!

I have triend reversing these solenoids before (original post) but that did not gave me the right result back then..

Hence why the intake cam position was reading 47°(~108° - 60°Advance).

Log 2020-05-4 12;36;18 am.llg

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2023 at 12:17 PM, Adamw said:

redo the offsets.

It looks like you havent reset the offsets.  

Follow the procedure below.  Use a test pulse count of 7 on the exhaust cam test and a count of 6 on the intake cam test.  Enter the obtained cam angle value for the exhaust cam into the "Trigger 2 VVT" menu and for the intake cam you enter it into the DI1 settings.

U07fjLe.png

The exhaust cam position appears to be reported correctly now.  The ecu is applying maximum duty cycle to aux 3 trying to get it to retard but it is not moving.   With the engine off, ignition on, do the exhaust solenoids click when you put aux 3 & 4 into test PWM mode?  Have you cut the stock connectors off the vanos solenoids?  Assuming they do click, is the vanos system known to be in good mechanical condition and working?

For the intake cam error, can you turn off the pull-up on DI1 to see if that solves the error.