MINILINK G4+ AC Behavior Adjustment

Ergo7

Hi, 

I have the MINILINK G4+ in my 2005 Mini Cooper S. It has the standard A/C module rather than the optional climate control system. I'm having an issue with the AC Clutch Compressor disconnecting early. The values for the High Pressure lockout is at the default 3000 kpa, but the AC Clutch deactivates consistently at ~1500 kpa. If I set the AC Clutch Control to Basic rather than Full, then the AC compressor behavior is consistent, but my concern is that it may end up over pressurizing the compressor if I keep it on Basic. I've attempted to lower the High Pressure lockout to 1900 kpa but the system still consistently deactivates at ~1500 kpa.

It is switching off due to the evap temp going below your evap temp lockout of 4°C.  I believe the purpose of this lockout is to prevent the evaporator from icing up.  You can try lowering that temp, or setting it to -10 will disable it.

5V7XK0z.png

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Is it possible to recalibrate the evap temp sensor with the MINILINK? I can't seem to find the option. What I'm noticing is that if the sensor begins at a high ambient temp, above ~114F  (45.5C) the value defaults to the lowest reading which is -10C and continues to climb. I'm assuming that it's hitting the highest value in the table and then starting over. 

No, it cant be calibrated, it comes in over CAN bus from the climate or dash unit.  Can you get us a log and I will see it I can dig up some old info about how it is meant to work.  Where do you live that reaches 45°C!?

Hi Adam,

So it appears the sensor calibration maxes out at 104F for some reason. I live in Southern California and we've had a few 40-45C days this past week. I've attached the log and you'll notice that towards the end as I turn off the AC, the evap sensor will slowly rise to 104F where it will then jump to 14F and continue to increase to about 20F when I turn on the compressor once again.

evap sensor.llg

On 8/17/2020 at 1:26 AM, Adamw said:

No, it cant be calibrated, it comes in over CAN bus from the climate or dash unit.  Can you get us a log and I will see it I can dig up some old info about how it is meant to work.  Where do you live that reaches 45°C!?

Hi Adam,

Were you able to take a look at the log? 

Yeah, something weird going on for sure.  What I suspect is happening is the Evap temp data field in the CAN message is actually longer than 1 byte - but because it is much cooler down here in NZ whenever we tested the car we probably never saw that value go above one byte so assumed it is only a one byte value and the ECU has only ever been looking at one byte.  When the value goes above what 1 byte can take it rolls back to zero (as the next byte along would normally be added on the the value).  To my knowledge you are the only one in the 10years we have been selling the Mini ecu that is in a hot enough climate to find this problem.

I will ask engineering if they can take a look to see what options there are to solve it.  

9 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yeah, something weird going on for sure.  What I suspect is happening is the Evap temp data field in the CAN message is actually longer than 1 byte - but because it is much cooler down here in NZ whenever we tested the car we probably never saw that value go above one byte so assumed it is only a one byte value and the ECU has only ever been looking at one byte.  When the value goes above what 1 byte can take it rolls back to zero (as the next byte along would normally be added on the the value).  To my knowledge you are the only one in the 10years we have been selling the Mini ecu that is in a hot enough climate to find this problem.

I will ask engineering if they can take a look to see what options there are to solve it.  

Thanks for looking into this!