Sync option for Trig 2

Ivaylo Angelov

Hello all,

Recently I got my hands on a second hand G4 xtreme. My intention is to control a VW VR6 Turbo engine in seq. fuel/ign mode. So, the 'first start' is still far away but I have to prepare my triggeres ready for use. My current CAM trigger is the OEM Hall one with only one missing tooth disc (there are no other cut teeth, i.e. one looong tooth and one shorter cut/missing). The crank trigger is reluctor with 60-2 disc. Here are my questions:

1. From the Trigger 2 CAM setup manual  I can choose either  'Cam pulse x1' or 'Cam level'. Is there any advantage concerning the ECU work ( for instance faster engine sync and start) when using the first or the second option? I know some other ECUs sync much faster with 'CAM level' type of trigger so engine cranking is shorter.

2. Once the Trigger 2 edge is choosen, when is the best moment for alignment in relation to the missing teeth/TDC #1cyl on the crank trigger? I.e. something like ... 30? degree before the missing tooth before TDC compression #1cyl? 

Many thanks in advance.

Regards!

Ivo

Hi Ivo

Cam level is better as long as the gap in the cam sync aligns with the gap in the crank trigger wheel.

Then we can sync the engine with in one turn of the crank by checking if the cam signal is high or low when the gap on the crank goes past its sensor.

For question 2 there is no preference at all the ECU will cope with it positioned anywhere in the cycle. But if you wnat to use cam level then it needs to be positioned across the gap of the crank trigger.

OK, so if my current  missing tooth gap on the CAM wheel is wider than the missing teeth 'width' (checked by a scope) on the crank wheel, I wont need to do anything to the sync trigger, just to position it correctly across the referense gap on the crank wheel?

What are the last G4 xtreme (red) serial numbers released by Link? My G4 extreme serial # is 130xx. Except of probably a firmware update (the ecu is not wired yet) do I need to check or do anything else?

I'm sorry to ask again Simon. Just realised the manual writes 'the ECU will know engine position by monitoring if CAM signal is high or low' but I can set just the trigger edge, not the the trigger level in CAM level mode? So, how ECU will know which level is correct?

Regards!

Ivo

The level will be high on one turn of the crank and low on the next it looks to see which it is. The timing offset then aligns the timing up.

Just make sure you are on to the latest firmware for the ECU before you start tuning / configuration.

Currently this is found here http://www.linkecu.com/support/downloads/pclink-download/pclink-g4-v4-10-2.1784

• 1 year later...