Link g4+ Storm & VAG 20vt wiring help

LJB

Good morning, 

Just purchased a Link Storm ecu after much research from my local Link dealer and need to know a few things before I start to make the loom ( as im going concentric twisted mil spec ) Its going into a Mk4 golf 1.8t (fully built) and this will be my first custom loom & stand alone build so go easy!

Im after the following:

IAT, 2x knock, cam, crank, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, lambda, tps, MAP, boost control solenoid , VVT & egt possibly. Just confused as to which would go to the associated digital inputs and which to analogue etc, I do not currently have PC link as im running MAC so cant access any of the examples of wiring diagrams etc.

Im also running a Innovate LC2 and was wondering would this be used as my sole sensor, or would I need to purchase another wideband to connect up for the ecu? As for AEM Water meth, would this need to be connected as an input at all?

Many thanks for the patience and help, its much appreciated. 

Edit: Im using the stock VVT (2pin) Stock VAG knocks x 2 (2pin) stock Crank sensor, Stock coolant & stock cam sensors too.

All the best

Liam 

Edited by LJB

Hi Liam,

I'm guessing your ECU is the G4+ Black Storm? Here is the inputs/outputs that you would connect the items you listed to.

IAT - Analog Temp channel

Knock sensors - Knock 1 and Knock 2 (pins B9 and B8)

Cam sensor - Trigger 2

Crank sensor - Trigger 1

Oil Pressure - Analog Volt channel

Oil Temp - Analog Temp channel

Coolant Temp - Analog Temp channel

Lambda (LC2) - Analog Volt channel

TPS - Analog Volt channel

MAP - Analog Volt channel

Boost Control Solenoid - Auxiliary Output channel

VVT position sensor - Digital Input 1 to 4

VVT solenoid - Aux Output 1 to 4

EGT (via a controller/amplifier) - Analog Volt channel

If you have an Innovate LC2 you do not need another wideband O2 sensor. 

It is better if the ECU knows when the water/meth injection is active, as you may want to switch boost, fuel, and ignition tables.

Scott, I didnt expect you to write all that up for me, thanks for taking time to help!

So with the VVT position im slightly confused as to where the 20VT gathers this from, Cam angle possibly? As there is no dedicated VVT position sensor as far as I am aware. Also when you mention for instance, VVT solenoid - Aux output 1 - 4 is this wired across the entire channels? 

If I purchase a Dash2 Pro also - will this simply wire into the CAN output via the loom (Ie no extra can controllers needed?)

Many thanks again.

Are you certain that the engine has VVT? We have a plug-in ECU for the 1.8T (with e-throttle) engines. When we built this one I researched VVT, but was never able to find evidence that any of the engines had it. I did however find that there is a cam chain tensioner that some people had thought was for VVT.  What is your engine code?

If the engine does have VVT the solenoid will need to be on either Aux Output 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Yes, just the CAN H and CAN L wires required to send data from the Link to the Dash 2 Pro.

It's a strange one, they say it has two positions via the cam chain you mention, "overlap" and "no overlap" positions... Very vague indeed, but I do know mappers who are using it via the stock me7.5 ecu. 

I did did look at the plug in ecu but I'm currently cable throttle, but have various DBW throttle bodies. Would it be advantageous to run DBW and am I right in thinking they would be as simple as hooking them to the appropriate inputs / outputs as I don't really want to run a separate ICV..

My engine code is a mix of three, but the head is an AEB large port head.

Thanks Scott.

If the chain tensioner does give VVT it sounds like it is only two position, so the best way to activate it will be to connect it to an Aux Output, and then configure some options for when it comes on, something like RPM > 3500 AND MAP greater than 100 kPa for example. This is how the old Honda VTEC systems worked.

The plug-in ECU is nice from an installation point of view. The mechanical throttle 1.8T ECUs have a different connector from the e-throttle models I believe, so the plug-in would not be an option for you.

E-throttle is nice for idle, but really is not necessary for most other functions. A 2 wire idle solenoid is just as tidy for idle control, and your Storm ECU will support the idle solenoid.

Edited by Scott

Here in Europe, it is only the N/A 1.8 20v 125 hp engine like the ADR that uses the "VCT". If you have it on your AEB, then it may be changed for another marked ie US or just added afterwards. Scott is right. It is only a on/off solenoid, which means you only use a free AUX controlling it. 

It changes inlet cam timing 22 degrees.

Full description of the Audi two point camshaft adjustment system can be found in SSP 182...  the cam chain tensioner is an electric-hydraulic combination of two functions.

Idle = adjustment off

between 1600 and 5300 rpm - adjustment on 

over 5300 rpm - adjustment off

regulation can be seen in measurement blocks and inside ECU code.

there are also two different ignition maps for each camshaft position and influences to torque control system.

Here in Europe, it is only the N/A 1.8 20v 125 hp engine like the ADR that uses the "VCT". If you have it on your AEB, then it may be changed for another marked ie US or just added afterwards. Scott is right. It is only a on/off solenoid, which means you only use a free AUX controlling it. 

It changes inlet cam timing 22 degrees.

Originally was the AUQ engine but am using an 058 head with an 06A block (so I could benefit from the larger port head for flow) but decided that it would be beneficial to retrofit the "vvt" solenoid. Very interesting, didn't realise it was as much as 22deg. 

Full description of the Audi two point camshaft adjustment system can be found in SSP 182...  the cam chain tensioner is an electric-hydraulic combination of two functions.

Idle = adjustment off

between 1600 and 5300 rpm - adjustment on 

over 5300 rpm - adjustment off

regulation can be seen in measurement blocks and inside ECU code.

there are also two different ignition maps for each camshaft position and influences to torque control system.

Okay so that's not to say you would potentially need two maps for use with the Link ecu? I'm not getting my hopes up that vvt will make that much of a difference for my application as I realise my build is going to be laggy, but it's Interesting that me7 actually has two maps which is changed depending on vvt position.. The more I read about me7 the more I realise how advanced an ecu it actually is.. 

A massive thanks again, the info is greatly appreciated. 

MK4 golf would be ME7.5 OEM ECU.  

The plugin G4+ Extreme TT-Link would suit...  

If you have retro-fitted the VVT solenoid then you can make use of it, but in any case the factory used VVT overlap more for emissions than anything else.

I've made a Vi-Pec i88 plugin work on an 06A B6 A4 without great difficulty.  I'm sure the Link G4+ Extreme would work on your MK 4 1.8T.  

Okay so that's not to say you would potentially need two maps for use with the Link ecu? I'm not getting my hopes up that vvt will make that much of a difference for my application as I realise my build is going to be laggy, but it's Interesting that me7 actually has two maps which is changed depending on vvt position.. The more I read about me7 the more I realise how advanced an ecu it actually is.. 

A massive thanks again, the info is greatly appreciated. 

I dont think you need two ignition maps... you only need two ignition maps if you want to set up the VVT independant from the ignition table.

For example, if you have two ignition maps, you can play with the VVT switch points an dont have to touch the ignition maps again.

If you use a two point VVT with fixed two point RPMs you can just use one ignition map. But if you change the VVT triming you have to adjust the ignition map again.

OEM Motronic is the most complex system I have ever seen - you are right...

If you have retro-fitted the VVT solenoid then you can make use of it, but in any case the factory used VVT overlap more for emissions than anything else

Nope, there is a significant gain in torque between 1600 and 5300 by camshaft switching.