G4 Xtreme (Red). Wiring of a Drive Low Switch to a Digital Input

Ivaylo Angelov

Hello dear Link users and masters,

I have few simple questions. I want to wire few switches to the DI 7-10, so I could switch low/high boost maps, check the clutch pedal position, enable anti lag, etc. The first question is, what GND should I use? The chassis GND or the ECU sensor GND? The second one: My engine has an OEM NTC single wire oil temp sensor and I want to use it to measure the oil temp.  It is installed on the oil filter bracket. I have (want) to connect it to Analog Volt 9 input. Is it possible and what is the correct way for that? The third: I have AFX Powerdex WBO2. Where is the right place to connect the controller GND wires (two)? The last one: My sync sensor is a +12V Hall one. Can I connect it to Trig 2 input? Should I also turn ON the "Trigger Pull-up Resistor " ?

Endless thanks in advance!

I'm in the middle of a wiring madness :-)

WP_20160907_010_zpsledaw7dj.jpg

Edited by Ivaylo Angelov

Hi,

Tidy looking engine bay :)

Some answers for your questions:

1. You should use the ECU sensor ground.

2. Yes it is possible to use an AN Volt channel for a single wire temp sensor. You will likely have to figure out the calibration and use one of the ECUs custom calibration tables. You will need to use a pullup resistor, this is how you would wire it:

Temp_with_AN_Volt.thumb.png.88406c4e3205

The grey box represents your single terminal temp sensor. As your sensor grounds through the engine oil filter bracket, it is possible for high resistance in the ground path to the ECU to create distortions in the sensor readings, so be sure to have good clean ground connections.

3. The wideband O2 controller should normally have two wires, one that goes to the ECU's 'Sensor ground' and the other wire that goes to one of the ECU's AN Volt channels. The wideband controller also probably has a power ground, they probably give advice on where to install this, my guess would be to chassis or engine ground.

4. Yes you can use the +12V hall sensor for a cam sensor, connect the sensor output to Trig 2. Some hall sensor's will require the pullup resistor, and other's will not. I would leave it off and use an oscilloscope (or ECU's TriggerScope) to check the sensor output, if there is none try turning the Trig 2 pullup resistor on.

Scott

Edited by Scott

Hello Scott, please, would you confirm my 12V Hall sensor connection or not? Its cable is shielded with two insulated leads inside :

Hall (-) to G4 sensor shield;   Hall signal to Trig 2;  Hall (+12v) to switched 12V supply

Thanks one more time for your support!

Hello Adamw,

No, it is a Hall sensor. I'm explaining how I wired it to my G4. I was advised here to use shielded cable for the Hall sensor as well, but my cable has only 2 wires surrounded by shield. In its original OEM instalation, the Hall wiring consist of  just  3 wires, no shield.

Thank you!