misfire/spark problem

Brad May

Hi there, heres the setup I have...

LS1 with cam, 6/71 blower  with 8 injectors above firing on semi sequential. Waste spark setup.

Had this running fine with a turbo, but now it seems to be misfiring and fouling alot even with a decent AFR.

I did the spark test, all are sparking, however this may be where the problem lies.........sometimes when I would

go to test the spark in spark test mode by changing from off to on, it would prime the fuel pump all of a sudden.

Im guessing I have a wiring problem? or possibly sharing a power feed between fuel and spark that i shouldnt??

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

On 30/12/2017 at 6:03 PM, Brad May said:

It's possibly more of down a cylinder rather than a misfire, but hopefully the log can rule out things like crank and cam sensor signals?

Heres a quick log I managed to get, note there is TPS input from me as cold start with no IAC etc.

Thanks

Bradley

LogLS1blower.llg

LS1blower.pclr

@Adamw

Hi Adam, I have emailed the log to the tech email since I see your on holiday. Here's a question you may be able to answer while relaxing in spa, just a thought, but I just tested resistance on the new leads on it, obviously being ls1 they are short, but they have close to no resistance (not solid core either). Could this be interfering with signals? My old leads had alot more resistance.

Hi Brad, I haven't been able to download your log, not sure if I have an internet problem here or if your attachment isn't working but never mind.  could you try sharing them via OneDrive or google drive etc?

Wasted spark ignition often creates a lot of electrical noise so with low resistance leads I would defiantly have some suspicions of this.  Have you still got your old leads to try?

Ok, so as excited as i was still no luck. Here's where I am so far......

Spark plugs are resistor type

New Bosch leads

spark tested every cylinder - all ok

compression tested every cylinder - all ok

run it for a couple of minutes, definitely down a cylinder or two, AFR was showing on the leaner side, pulled plugs, 7 & 8 wet, rest lightly fouled.

Swapped 7 & 8 coils around with 1 & 2 thinking it was the coils, re run for a minute and pulled plugs. No wet plugs, but all completely dry fouled.

This motor run perfect with the turbo setup, then I put the blower on, so the only difference is the injectors are now on top of the blower, left as semi sequential firing.

Also relocated the coils from the inner guard back to the original rocker cover position.

The fuel map should be pretty close since it was good before. The wideband is in one bank only, and to be honest their is a slightly bad leak in the v-band which is a couple of inches further past the oxy sensor which I know doesnt help.

I sent the logs to TECH and they replied today saying the accel enrichment was terribly high and to lower that, but it used to be fine and hasnt been changed?

Any more ideas??

@Adamw I have just uploaded log to onedrive, do I need your email or user name to share?

back again.....

so the engine was very sludgy inside (previous owner!) so I thought that possibly the cam sensor was sludged up. Just tried to remove it to clean,

and the makers of the blower intake obviously dont take this into consideration. it will only come half out before fouling on the intake manifold. I chucked it back

in and just tried to start the car again, after fiddling with the cam sensor now it wont start at all, nearly catches but wont, and nearly blew the exhaust to bits with the backfires it

was doing..........so Im guessing I have a crook cam sensor? Anyway, by the time someone replies I will have the blower and intake apart and off so I can get to the cam sensor for replacement.