Spartan 3ADV CAN Wideband connection issue

TommyBee

Hello folks! Got rid of my 0-5v PLX Wideband and splashed out on the Spartan 3 ADV. I’ve followed all wiring connections and it seems the lambda gets hot and the module is just above ambient temp. So I would say that confirms it’s working as such it’s just PCLink cannot find it? I’ve tried it in both CAN1 & CAN2 ports (changed settings too obviously and nothing? Does the Spartan need any Ohm mods or any ideas, Took it to the guy who’s gonna map it (eventually!) and he thinks it needs the Grey Can Bus adaptor as seen below but I want to see if I’m missing anything obvious before chopping into more wires

Here’s some pics...

B8705D92-580D-401B-8E22-DA951536FE43.jpeg

0B6B4819-363B-4101-9BC8-38DEC959B44F.jpeg

AEE89B2A-67DF-43A0-B8B4-2EBC82435102.jpeg

0EB701F5-C288-413D-83BB-9CE226038BB4.jpeg

0091EC26-D7D6-442A-993F-F10D7F617DD9.jpeg

394F8A9F-C464-47D3-B23D-7B7B0CAB3975.jpeg

If you read the instructions again you will see nowhere does it tell you to go to the CAN devices tab and hit the Find devices button.  This function is only used for re-programming Link CAN devices.

As per the instructions you should have a 120ohm resistor across the brown/white wires somewhere near the Spartan, although it will probably work ok without it.

Have you turned off the analog input that you had assigned to Lambda 1 with the PLX?  

What does the CAN 1 section of the Runtimes screen show - any errors?

What does the Lambda 1 status and temperature show on the ECU status tab of the runtimes screen?

The resistor would only be needed if there's multiple devices of I'm not mistaken. I'm running my aem x via can and didn't need a resistor and it works fine

There is nothing coming up under lambda 1 status, temp and such 

(I've been helping him with his car) 

Just checked the run time values 

received_403027843925538.jpeg

It's currently plugged in to can 2

50 minutes ago, Adzn3k said:

The resistor would only be needed if there's multiple devices of I'm not mistaken. I'm running my aem x via can and didn't need a resistor and it works fine

No, any CAN bus should be terminated at both ends.  The ecu end has termination built-in but you need to add termination yourself at the other end.  Some devices will work ok without it and others will not, I'm not sure with the Spartan as I have always wired them with the bus properly terminated.

Have you set up the Spartan in "Link mode"?

Yes, Spartan has a termination resistor built in and it is enabled by default.  I would use the Spartan in its default mode, use 1Mb/s and 1024 as ID.  Use the attached stream definition.  From the testing I have performed, the Spartan doesn't actually work in Link mode, the stream appears to be incorrect. (you would have needed to log in via serial bluetooth to change the mode/ID to Link CAN Lambda mode)

image.png.b63a4d060f77129ab566173ddda7bd84.png

HTH,

Richard.

Spartan3ADVDefaultMode.lcs

1 hour ago, Richard Hill said:

From the testing I have performed, the Spartan doesn't actually work in Link mode, the stream appears to be incorrect.

I have used several of them and they work fine for me, although mine are quite early revisions he has possibly messed something up since?  The Link mode is preferred as it will disable CLL when sensor status is not ok.

Edit:  Also check the ECU firmware is recent, from memory CAN lambda input was only added to the firmware somewhere around V5.6.2

Hi Adam, on the Log Adrian posted I disconnected the 12v supply around 2mins in and reconnected around 30secs later. I have the part number of the Lambda: it's marked 14point7 LSUADVA0

I‘m on iPhone so tonight I’ll try and borrow an android phone to try the Torque app.

Try setting divider to 1000 on the can stream setup for "lambda 1". The spartan adv3 manual says this value is sent as lambda x 1000 on the wire.

The current lambda value is clearly wrong - it only ever changes during initialisation, so looks like it might be reading a status field not a lambda value. Are you certain the controller is sending in default mode?