Issue Connecting ECU to PC

borb

I have a WRX2 G4+  and i'm unable to link the ECU to the PC. I've tried 3 PC's, all running Windows 10 64bit. After installing PC Link i'm not seeing anything in device manager. When i plug in the ECU it shows "Link ECU", which is listed under other devices. When i manually install the USB drivers, nothing happens. When I add the "Link Engine Management USB ECU" through legacy hardware, it has the yellow triangle next to it. I've tried legacy PCLINK software, i've tried running the Silicone labs USB driver. Ive tried getting PCLINK to communicate through the assigned com ports with all the baud rates.

Every PC i tried did not have ports under device manager, even under hidden. Other than that I've exhausted all options that I can think of.

Hmm, thats weird, I havent come across this before.  

I see a reference to "McAfee" in your device manager, Is there an anti-virus software or something preventing the driver from installing?  Can you temporarily disable?

I will attach an old and new version of the driver if you want to give both a try.

Link USB Drivers.zip

New G4+ drivers.zip

The McAfee wasn't doing anything but I removed it to be sure.

Starting from scratch (software/driver uninstall), I installed PCLink,  skipped the driver install and go through the drivers you just sent. I plug in the ECU, power off, and it shows up under "Other Devices" in device manager with the message "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). There are no compatible drivers for this device."

I've tried every variation/option I could think of that follow the correct sequence as per the installation manual. Everything I do has the same result. All 3 PC's have the same result. I've also tried 2 usb connectors (  the one that comes in the box, both brand new).

Thats starting to look like something is messed up with the ID's on that USB chip.  Is it a brand new ecu or has it just recently stopped working?

It may have to come back to Link for repair.  Where abouts are you in the world?

I was using the wrong software. I was under the impression it was a g4+ ECU, as that is what I ordered, and that's what the instruction manual listed it as. It's a g4x ECU. Waiting on the unlock code now, but, the ECU is able to communicate with the PC now.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Quixrep said:

i am having the same exact issue. same codes ect. i have a g4+ ecu brand new out of the box. the laptop sees it is a link ecu but wont install the drivers. i have read all the forms and no solutions work. please help  i have win10 64x 

What is your ECU serial number and what software are you installing?

What device shows in windows device manager when you plug the ecu in?

I will have to pull the ecu to find the serial number. it is the G4X HC92X.  Should i have downloaded the g4X or the g4+? I did the plus. It sees the ECU when plugged in but then it says ECU drive not installed. Device manager says Link ECU. I will get more info tonight. 

why does the package and even the website say 4g+. very confusing that the ecu product description says G4x but the download for this unit says 4g+. can you tell me what is the proper download for the honda G4X HC92X?  here is the serial numnber 508868

here are all the pics i could get of the issues, can you assist?

1766622460_Capture5.PNG.bdf3bf7dac730e01dc488e313823dc25.PNG1893564375_Capture4.PNG.23de98f8c882ddef61a65c6a3d05cc80.PNG439837702_Capture3.PNG.543a84a9ead7e9f99d4daad31ba6dd19.PNG1710954812_Capture2.PNG.507830085da4266e188919d85606a34f.PNG1310153163_Capture1.PNG.18e08b30b56c5c859e9f71b212e542dc.PNG

13 minutes ago, Quixrep said:

why does the package and even the website say 4g+. very confusing that the ecu product description says G4x but the download for this unit says 4g+.

Where are you getting this info from?  We havent sold G4+ plug-in ecus for a couple of years now?

The G4X software is very first one at the top of our downloads page here:  https://linkecu.com/software-support/pc-link-downloads/

LGVlDhv.png

so the g4X worked for the "G4+" ecu. it seems that there are many mistakes in the Link ECU website and documents. Maybe start with the manuals. In the g4+ manual it states a few times to download the G4+ software. I hope that this discovery will save future clients from the confusion and frustration i had to endure. Also your comment about being  "obvious" made me laugh a little bit so thank you for the chuckle on your account. 

here is some clips from the G4+ install manual, for my G4x ecu

image.png.e689b623b7182f1e1c1c92a370332027.png

You dont have a G4+ ECU!!!!   Why do you think you have a G4+ ECU? 

Of course the G4+ manual says to use the G4+ software because it is written for a G4+ ECU - which you dont have.

What is the reason you keep mentioning G4+?  

13 minutes ago, Quixrep said:

here is some clips from the G4+ install manual, for my G4x ecu

But that is not for your G4X ecu - that is for an old G4+ ecu.  The correct G4X manual came in the box with the ecu and is also available on our website which I linked to in a previous post.

i showed you many times why i thought that, i m watching link changing the documents as i type. its ok lol we all make mistakes jut admit it when it happens. in case you didn't see this , it came from the g4+ install manual , i have a copy saved on my computer so changing the website wont fix what is already saved. We can keep going but it looks bad for link. no big deal. i found error and mistakes, they are currently being fixed and all is well. image.png.c3d984731aa33d9e6da7901947ea302a.png

1 minute ago, Quixrep said:

i showed you many times why i thought that, i m watching link changing the documents as i type.

Nobody's changing anything, the whole of NZ (head office) is on holiday at the moment, and I dont have access to the website or even have a clue how to modify it, in fact im not even sure if anyone at Link can or if its done by a 3rd party. 

Both the G4X and G4+ manuals are still on the website now unchanged just as they have been for the last 2 years or more.  We have PC Link and manuals on the website for all of our ECU generations all the way back to G1 which is ~30years old.

You keep referring to a G4+ manual so im trying to understand why in case we do actually need to change something?  You have a G4X, it would have come in a G4X box, with a G4X manual, its even got G4X printed on the ECU itself.  I cant see how a G4+ manual would have been shipped with the ecu as we would have had to especially get it printed to do so.  Did you buy the ecu new from a Link dealer?  Do you have a paper copy of the G4+ manual or did you download it?