First start issue Monsoon

ozyvr4

Hi there guys . I am having a problem with a first start up on a Link Monsoon on a VR4 4G63t. I have wired a new harness and everything that I have tested is functioning correctly. 

I can test the ignition coils via the test feature and get spark with the plugs out of the engine to confirm spark. 

I have also tested the trigger scope and am getting signal on both input channels. 

I also confirmed that I have coil voltage while cranking 

I have gone to do ignition calibration but I have no spark so I am getting no signal to my timing light . 

Can someone have a look at a log to make sure that I have not missed something in the setup?

START LOG.llgx

Something is wrong with your trigger, it looks like maybe someone has cut a tooth off trigger 2.  You should see 2 trigger 2 teeth for every 4 trigger 1 teeth.  But your triggerscope only has 1 trig 2 tooth for every 4 trigger 1 teeth.

Your scope:

rn0avpv.png

Correct Evo1-6 pattern:

heSduyc.png

Thanks again for the help. So I removed the CAS cover and found they had covered 1 of the trigger slots. 

Also as for my personal knowledge the trigger wheel in the CAS has 2 pickups. I suspect outer pickups are for individual cylinder triggers and the inner is for crank location? Please expand on this or correct me if I wrong. Im trying to learn as I go. 

Can you see any other reason that my spark was not occurring in my setup?  

Thanks again. 

20200630_204723.jpg

Yes, the outer ring is the "crank" trigger - effectively 2 teeth per crank rev.  The inner ring is used to detect "phase".  Originally the inner ring has one short "tooth" and one long tooth, this just allows the ecu to detect phase within 1 engine rev rather than two revs if it only had a single slot.  

I suspect the haltech probably didnt support the factory Evo type trigger so by covering up one of the phase slots they have made it into a more basic "1 tooth per TDC" type trigger pattern.

8 hours ago, ozyvr4 said:

Can you see any other reason that my spark was not occurring in my setup?  

Does it still not go?  Will need a fresh log if so.

I got it to start finally. I went over everything. Coils worked fine on test , but when I crank engine only 1 & 4 sparked ( joined together ) . I swapped ignition leads and 2 & 3 sparked. It was very weird , so I changed trigger setup to evo 7 and I got all 4 cylinders to spark. I reset to evo 1-6 and all of a sudden it worked. I refitted spark plugs and cranked engine.

Hooray, it started. I dont understand what went wrong but its now sorted. Time to tune. 

Thanks for your help. The information is priceless.