Problem with A/C Request on DI6, series 6 RX7

Pete_89t2

Hi, I've got a wired in G4+ Fury in my FD, and I'm attempting to use DI6 as the "A/C Request" function. Long story short, it's not working as expected but I think I know why - voltage on the DI6 input is a bit higher than it should be when the AC is switched on, and that voltage varies depending on AC blower fan speed. Here's the voltages I measured on DI6, car not running but with a trickle charger connected to the battery:

A/C switch & Fan Switch OFF: 12.4V

A/C switch OFF, Fan switch set at ANY speed: 12.4V

A/C switch ON, Fan speed 1: 1.51V

A/C switch ON, Fan speed 2: 2.16V

A/C switch ON, Fan speed 3: 3.36V

A/C switch ON, Fan speed 4: 3.14V

What is the recommended work around for this? A relay would work, but would be a bit more difficult to physically wire, so I was thinking a few diodes in series to drop the voltage input to DI6 would be a better/easier solution. Question is what is the voltage threshold for the DI, and how many series diodes would I need to reliably pull the voltage down enough?

Thanks!

Yes, it needs to be above 1.5V for one state and below 1.0V for the other state.  So you need to get all the "ON" voltages lower.  

4 diodes in series should do it.    On our S6 plug-in the AC Request signal uses a 2.4V zener diode (backwards) and a weak path to ground, as below.  But my diode theory is not strong enough to say this will work for your voltages - so use at your own risk.  Our notes say on the S6 the AC request signal varies between 1.5 & 2.6V depending on fan speed so yours is a little different.

ZDGLxNe.png

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yes, it needs to be above 1.5V for one state and below 1.0V for the other state.  So you need to get all the "ON" voltages lower.  

4 diodes in series should do it.    On our S6 plug-in the AC Request signal uses a 2.4V zener diode (backwards) and a weak path to ground, as below.  But my diode theory is not strong enough to say this will work for your voltages - so use at your own risk.  Our notes say on the S6 the AC request signal varies between 1.5 & 2.6V depending on fan speed so yours is a little different.

ZDGLxNe.png

Thanks, I didn't think of using a Zener diode & pull down resistor but that's a neat solution. Though the 4x series diodes should be physically easier to add inline to my wiring harness at this point.