G4+ BMWLink - no communication

Dandeman

Hello!

I have a new ecu in the bmw and it will not connect to my pc.

The PC does see the usb in device manager, and the ecu has a green light - and is cycling the fuel pump.

I have looked at other forum posts, and tried a few of the potential fixes for similar issues.  Usb driver, using what I believe is the correct software.

I did yesterday get the note that the usb was connected but to cycle the ecu.  I do not have this today after removing the xsl harness and trying again.

Thank you in advance for help.

Dan

link error code.jpg

No Can devices.  I had an expansion loom installed (nothing there connected yet) but have since removed it.

The connection settings have been the parameters above - I have moved them around to see if there was any different results.  I will put them back to this.

Will try a different computer today to see if we can get a different result there.

Any other thoughts?

Only thing that seems weird is that when the ecu is powered, it will run the fuel pump circuit for an extended period of time, not the typical 3-4 seconds for priming.  Also - the ecu came with the communication cable attached to the ecu - is this normal, or could there be an issue with this connection?

Just as a sanity check yesterday, reconnected the old dme to the car, and it stated and ran - albeit it was flooded.  May have an additional issue with a leaking injector, but also see above for the pumps running and something else maybe happening as well.  Also checked battery power before starting - 12.2v.

Thank you in advance!

Try bench powering the ECU. Put 12V to pin 54 and ground on to pin 34 and then see if you can connect.

Alternatively with the ecu in the car and  key on you can measure the voltage between these two pins.  

12v power at pin 54 and ground at pin 34 - no communication still - get the error message "unable to connect ... cycle ecu"

Checking for power and ground at the connector side - I have ground at 34, but also have a ground at 54 - both without the ecu connected to the connector.

With the ecu connected I have 12v at 54 and ground at 34

Tried this - With power to the ecu, I hover over the "ECU Controls" tab, and I clicked the <update firmware> tab.  Please see the results below.

Please advise - appears that it need some communication.  Or I am not clicking the correct tabs.

Thx,

Dan

image.thumb.png.531eaffd33cd27320827fe3a6c1e9638.png

Hello All!

Sending this ecu back to the point of sale vendor - you should see this from them as an issue to fix.  Through a alternate dealer, we have also identified that there is a hardware issue.

I have since received an alternate G4X that is up and running.

Thank you for all the help!!