G4+ Thunder Custom CAN Outputs to AIM PDM 32

defjux23

Hello all,

I am wanting to run custom CAN Outputs (Turbo RPM, Crankcase Pressure, Coolant Pressure) to my AIM PDM 32. From my understanding, I cannot customize the Link ECU configuration within the AIM software but I can build a whole custom CAN protocol from scratch. Where would I find a list of all the CAN address outputs from the Link ECU? Any suggestions of a better way to do it? Thanks in advance!

Dan

I can give you a CAN template for RS3 with the Link generic dash stream already set up so you can add extra stuff to it.

A bit complicated to explain in words, but I usually find it easiest on the ecu side to leave generic dash stream un-touched as that transmits the bulk of the common channels, then just add an extra stream on a new ID to broadcast the extra channels you want.  On the dash end you just have a single template to receive both messages.  You can also send stuff like fuel pump and fan status rather than hardwired outputs.  If you attach your ECU and PDM config, I dont mind setting up a few example channels to give you something to copy and work from.

• 7 months later...

I am very interested in setting up some custom channels as well. I have a Link Thunder with AIM PDM32 and 10" display.  I have items like fuel pressure and trans temp that I would like to display on the dash.  Possibly traction control info.

Fuel pressure and traction control statuses are already in the standard stream - make sure you have the lastest firmware in both ECU and PDM as Aim only recently added those to their end.  

But if you want anything custom then attach your ecu and pdm config.

• 3 weeks later...

Attached your files updated.  I suggest updating your thunder to the latest firmware as there is extra data sent in the latest version to match the PDM setup.

In the ECU configuration I have set Fuel pump and Fan up on virtual aux 1 & 2 and these are sent to the PDM so you can use them to turn on the relevant output, I set up the fan output as an example.

The attached .xc1 file is not needed but this is the custom CAN configuration for the PDM.  You can import this into RS3 if you want to add any new channels from the ECU in the future.

PDM32 Luis.zconfig LINK_Luis Custom_@20210609_054845_001131.xc1 Luis.pclr

• 2 weeks later...

Adam,
 I have added custom CAN transmits for our AIM PDM32 as well as one receive to toggle boost settings, from the PDM32 via our CAN Keypad, but I am uncertain how to utilize the keypad to request the boost levels indicated. The car has not been tuned yet (or even turned on), but I am trying to get as much ready in advance before we take it to the dyno. Many thanks!

PDM32 Pro Awe.zconfig ProAwesome6.15.21.pclr

Ok, files attached.  I have simplied your extra CAN channels into a signle compound stream.  The 5 boost settings come in from the Keypad as CAN AN V1 0-4

PWM (aux 5 water pump) cant be output over CAN in G4+, so I have removed that channel.

LINK_Pro Awe Thunder_@20190316_075205_007515.xc1 PDM32 Pro Awe V1.1.zconfig ProAwesome6_15.21 V1.1.pclr

30 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Ok, files attached.  I have simplied your extra CAN channels into a signle compound stream.  The 5 boost settings come in from the Keypad as CAN AN V1 0-4

PWM (aux 5 water pump) cant be output over CAN in G4+, so I have removed that channel.

LINK_Pro Awe Thunder_@20190316_075205_007515.xc1 262.39 kB · 0 downloads PDM32 Pro Awe V1.1.zconfig 1.14 MB · 0 downloads ProAwesome6_15.21 V1.1.pclr 173.27 kB · 0 downloads

Many thanks! What's the best way to go about using 0,1,2,3,4 to match my desired boost levels? Forgive me, I am completely new to boost control management with the Link.

Also, is there any workaround to see the PWM output for our water pump on the display? If not, not the biggest deal, but it would be nice to confirm we are in the desired state on track. Thanks for your effort!

I already set up the axis on your boost target table in your map, you just need to enter what manifold pressure you want in each cell.  The closed loop boost control function will nered to be tuned first beore this is any use to you however.

px8DAii.png

It is not possible to show PWM DC over CAN. 

We turned off the generic dash stream, still the dash not working, and the can between pdm and ecu still not working, we tried everything, 

We connected the can on can 2 ( Low + High ) , we did the setting on pdm and ecu .

And check you messages  inbox  .

Adam,

Would you be able to add Boost Target from the Link CAN Output? That way we can confirm we are trying for the right target on screen. Thanks!

Ended up figuring this out on my own. The one thing we noticed is that with our sequential transmission, neutral is no longer labeled as N and reverse is no longer labeled as R on the AIM display. Now they are labeled as 11 and 10 respectively. Would the custom CAN XC1 cause these changes? Thanks!

Dan