Link g4x RB25det problems

tomridley92

Hi all,

I have a link g4x in the shop, when tuning it keeps loosing the connection between the ecu and pc. I have to remove the usb and re insert and it will re connect, but only for a short time, not enough to actually tune the car.

It’s hooked into a windows pc,

has anyone else had this problem, and is there a fix for it??

Tom

I have been dealing with a car here in the shop with the same issue.  2+ weeks so far I haven't been able to get the car to a tunable state once I switched it from a G4+ to a G4x.  If you contact tech support through the link website they may send you a USB cable with Ferrite Beads/EMI Chokes on it (they did for me) and the connection stayed online much much longer to where I could probably actually tune with this cable if it weren't an MR2 I'm working on.  You may also try adding these to each end of the USB cable you already have.  I ordered a dozen or so from Amazon to clip onto 5mm cable as the car I'm having this issue with requires a USB extension cable, and I would like some ability to improve this situation quickly if another car has this problem again later.  I've added these to the extension as they showed up yesterday and will report back in a bit how well they work.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:28 AM, koracing said:

I have been dealing with a car here in the shop with the same issue.  2+ weeks so far I haven't been able to get the car to a tunable state once I switched it from a G4+ to a G4x.  If you contact tech support through the link website they may send you a USB cable with Ferrite Beads/EMI Chokes on it (they did for me) and the connection stayed online much much longer to where I could probably actually tune with this cable if it weren't an MR2 I'm working on.  You may also try adding these to each end of the USB cable you already have.  I ordered a dozen or so from Amazon to clip onto 5mm cable as the car I'm having this issue with requires a USB extension cable, and I would like some ability to improve this situation quickly if another car has this problem again later.  I've added these to the extension as they showed up yesterday and will report back in a bit how well they work.

Yeah it’s a frustrating situation, i’ll contact link and see if they will send me one of these isolated cables. Thanks for the heads up.

tom

So far the clip on beads I sourced from Amazon have not seemed to do anything or much of anything on this car.  At tech support's suggestion I've also purchased active USB extension cables (which seem to start at 16 ft or 5m) and tested that without any significant change or improvement.  They (Simon) suggested that the higher speed of the G4x is part of the problem making it more susceptible to noise from things like EMI and that potentially Link was "at the limits of USB".  Given that newer USB protocols can communicate almost as fast as a hard drive, I find it hard to believe that USB is the limitation - unless it's a limit more related to the ability to function noise free in an automotive environment.