G4X Support for Toggle Style Ignition Coils

HaveYouSeenAWizardSleep

Hey, I was just wondering if it were possible in the future for the G4X firmware to support toggle style Ignition Coils, I've wired up a few RX7s, G4Xs in the past (direct fire), and have past experience working with the MegaSquirt Platform which supported Toggle Style Ignition Coils alongside with Direct Fire (w/ Wasted Spark Leading Coils). I'm not sure if this is hardware related, but is there a possibility that this can be supported in the future via a firmware update? The only way I've been able to get around this is by adding a second igniter to trailing coil.

We used to support them years ago but it was removed due to the risk of using them with user configurable limiters.  I dont know all of the technical detail, but I believe the reason was that under a specific set of conditions (maybe dwell extension or attrition coupled with an ignition cut limiter), there was a potential risk that the ignitor could initiate spark on the wrong rotor.  Mazda got around this by always cutting fuel a few cycles prior to cutting ignition, then only adding fuel back a few cycles after spark was reintroduced.

59 minutes ago, Adamw said:

We used to support them years ago but it was removed due to the risk of using them with user configurable limiters.  I dont know all of the technical detail, but I believe the reason was that under a specific set of conditions (maybe dwell extension or attrition coupled with an ignition cut limiter), there was a potential risk that the ignitor could initiate spark on the wrong rotor.  Mazda got around this by always cutting fuel a few cycles prior to cutting ignition, then only adding fuel back a few cycles after spark was reintroduced.

Ahh interesting, the likelihood of it being added back is slim to none I assume?