Gear positioning output

Camal

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I stumbled across this thread while searching the forum for a way in which I could create a display showing the current gear selected - I have recently upgraded my Cobra replica kit car from the original RV8 and Cosworth T5 to a Toyota 1UZ and BMW GS6-53DZ 6 speed gearbox and am finding it hard to keep track of which gear I am in on track days, with embarrassing consequences.

Unfortunately I don't have 6 unused Aux Outputs on my Link Storm but I do have 3.  My days studying Boolean algebra finally proved of use when I realised that by assigning the three available Aux Outputs to represent binary digits I could then use the three conditions to select the outputs to show the numbers 0 - 7 in binary.

This is hard to explain but hopefully will be clear from the tables below -

Aux # Function Label Switch Logic Sw Cond 1 Gear = Sw Cond 2 Gear = Sw Cond 3 Gear =
6 GP Output Bit One Cond 1 OR 2 OR 3 Gear = 1 Gear = 3 Gear = 5
7 GP Output Bit Two Cond 1 OR 2 OR 3 Gear = 2 Gear = 3 Gear = 6
8 GP Output Bit Four Cond 1 OR 2 OR 3 Gear = 4 Gear = 5 Gear = 6

My logic says that the outputs of Aux 6, 7 & 8 for the various gears will (should?) be as below -

Gear # Aux 8
Bit Four
Aux 7
Bit Two
Aux 6
Bit One
1 0 0 1
2 0 1 0
3 0 1 1
4 1 0 0
5 1 0 1
6 1 1 0

All that would be required (?) would be a 7 Segment display with a binary input!

My question is has anyone done this or can anyone say why it would not work?

Regards,

Ian

It should work as you expect.  You can get 7 segment BCD drivers such as 4511 that would handle the display side.  

Another option is our CAN gauge, then you can display anything you want as well as alarms etc.