Link G4+ compatibility with Banks iDash Supergauge (CAN bus gauge)

Pete_89t2

I'm considering one of these Banks gauges for my S6 RX7 that is running a Link G4+ Fury:

https://www.bankspower.com/i-2695-banks-idash-supergauge-no-obd-primary-gauge-for-vehicles-without-obd.html#!

After researching other CAN bus gauges on the market (GaugeArt, Perfect Tuning, BTI), I kind of like the appearance of the Banks gauge, and the fact that it can legibly display the most parameters on a single screen. After downloading the list of parameters Banks claims to support for the G4+ ECU, I was disappointed to find that a few parameters I'd like to be able to display from my G4+, such as Target lambda/AFR, and Injector DC(Secondary) are not among the list of supported parameters. But it does support a large list of parameters I don't care about; i.e., any cam related stuff because rotary. So I was wondering if there was any flexibility there to program the gauge or the G4+ to substitute the parameters I'd rather monitor. Unfortunately, Banks tech support has been unresponsive to my inquiry thus far.

So I was wondering if anyone here using a Banks iDash gauge with their Link G4+ was successfully able to get the gauge to display any parameters from their G4+ CAN bus that are NOT among those listed below from Banks list? If so, what did you have to do to make it happen?

Link ECU Parameter name:

Fault Codes
MAF
TPS
Cam Inlet Position L
Cam Inlet Position R
Cam Exhaust Position L
Cam Exhaust Position R
Injector Timing
Lambda 1
Lambda 2
Injector Pulse Width (Actual)
Injector DC
MGP
MAP
Barometric Pressure
Oil Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Engine Speed
LF Wheel Speed
RF Wheel Speed
LR Wheel Speed
RR Wheel Speed
IAT
ECT
Oil Temp
Gear Position
Ignition Timing
Knock Level 1
ECU Volts

Thanks!

Edited by Pete_89t2
fixed link

You can definately set up a custom CAN stream to send an alternaitve parameter in place of one you dont need, but I dont know how much flexability the gauge has in terms of renaming channels and changing units etc.  For example there are not really any other channels that use % units that you could use for Secondary DC.

Is there a list of channels the banks gauge supports for other ECU's?  It may be possible to get what you want by duplicating Haltech/AEM etc.

Have you considered the Plex USDM?

12 hours ago, Adamw said:

You can definately set up a custom CAN stream to send an alternaitve parameter in place of one you dont need, but I dont know how much flexability the gauge has in terms of renaming channels and changing units etc.  For example there are not really any other channels that use % units that you could use for Secondary DC.

Is there a list of channels the banks gauge supports for other ECU's?  It may be possible to get what you want by duplicating Haltech/AEM etc.

Have you considered the Plex USDM?

Thanks Adam, I downloaded the lists of parameters Banks supports for Haltech (pasted below FYI); doesn't seem to be any logic behind the selections of parameters displayable for each ECU. I also downloaded the iDash user manual, which describes how to setup the gauge for use. One of the 1st steps in the procedure is to select the aftermarket ECU, which is where the Link, Haltech, etc. appear in the drop-down list. I'll have to confirm this with Banks, but this implies to me that once I select a Link ECU, the Banks firmware will only let it display parameters from their list for Link ECUs.

I did take a look at the Plex uDSM - it does everything I'd ever want and more, though it's a bit more expensive. Only issue I have with the Plex is it's form factor - not many flat surfaces in an FD's interior where I can mount it, still see it driving and not have it look look tacked on or out of place. If Plex made the uDSM in a standard 52mm or 60mm round gauge format, there are lots of options that would work in an FD (i.e., center dash speaker pod; A-pillar pod; steering column pod).

FYI, here's the Banks list for Haltech:

Throttle Position
Accelerator Pedal Pos
Boost Control Output
Intake Cam Angle Bank #1
Intake Cam Angle Bank #2
Exhaust Cam Angle Bank #1
Exhaust Cam Angle Bank #2
Reserved (Fuel Level)
Fuel Temp
Fuel Consumption Rate
Fuel Composition
Fuel Trim Long Term Bank 1
Fuel Trim Long Term Bank 2
Fuel Trim Short Term Bank 1
Fuel Trim Short Term Bank 2
Lambda 1
Lambda 2
Lambda 3
Lambda 4
Injector Duty Cycle (Primary)
Average Fuel Economy
Boost Control Target
Manifold Pressure
Barometric Pressure
Oil Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Manifold Pressure 2
Coolant Pressure
Brake Pressure
RPM
Turbo Speed Sensor
Wheel Speed Front Left
Wheel Speed Front Right
Wheel Speed Rear Left
Wheel Speed Rear Right
Coolant Temp
Oil Temp
Transmission Oil Temp
Air Temp
Air Temp Sensor 2
EGT 1
EGT 2
EGT 3
EGT 4
EGT 5
EGT 6
EGT 7
EGT 8
Diff Oil Temp
Gear
Ignition Angle (Leading)
Knock Retard - Bank 1
Launch Control Ign Retard
Knock Level Logged
Wheel Slip
Fuel Cut Percentage
Battery Voltage

20 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Can you give me a link to where the list of channels for each ecu is.  

Sure, go to this page:

https://www.bankspower.com/series-2-idash-1-8-datamonster-and-supergauge.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1LjKuP-68AIVzv_jBx0NrQJrEAAYASAAEgJfMfD_BwE

Then scroll down about 1/2 way down the page, looking for "Supported ECUs", where it lists all the ECUs supported, and each has a link to a .PDF file that lists the parameters for that ECU

Ok, so it looks like none of them include secondary inj DC.  

In the Link stream we could send sec inj DC instead of MAF as it has a similar resolution, but I suspect you wont be able to rename it or change units at the Banks end.  So for example a 85.5% sec Inj DC would show on the gauge as a MAF of 85.5 g/s.

Target lambda could be sent in place of Lambda 2 I guess so it will have correct units.