USB connector cable/knock

Howard Coleman

i was visiting with Victory Motorsports Loganville, Ga today and expect to be doing some tunng with them. Edwin is a Link guy and we were attempting to discern why my knock readings with my V88 over 8 years typically were around 25/30 tops while they are 55/65 with my G4X Extreme. same 2 Bosch (Mazda RX8 P/N) sensors on my Third Gen FD RX7. same gain setting. i have added as much as 28% ethanol to 93 octane. i run 1000 CC of meth as AI (same as before)... i even did a 60/40 meth/water combo, then tried Boostane. this currently is all at modest boost.. 15/16 with an EFR9180

zero change in the knock readings. i did a comp test on my motor and it is 100%. 

it appears the only changes in the G4X map are i switched to the actual knock cps (3500). the V88 was set at 5500 which was the closest i could get to 3500. gain was the same. i reset the G4X to 5500 and came up with the same 55/65 readings.

one difference is i was logging at around 6 per second with the V88 and it appears i am around 16/S with the G4X. i doubt this is a factor since i have over 100 V88 logs and over 50 G4X logs... both consistantly different. 

any help on this appreciated...

Edwin did ask me about my USB cable. he showed me a cable that had two "filters." i was not aware of such a cable. is this new? 

he said that the G4X is so sensitive that it can pick up background noise and so the new cable. i checked the Link site and did not see such a cable. 

would i benefit from it and is it available,  P/N.

thanks

It is completely different hardware and firmware, comparing knock settings to a 10 year old V88 is irrelevant.  You need to tune the knock system so that it reports knock only when there is actually knock.  I would suggest using the much better normalised knock mode in G4X.

The ferrite beads were added to the USB cables a few months back.  Not needed unless you are having a comms issue.