No spark on the Thunder

mattj

I just realized I wired the IGT signal from the igniter into the Ign2 input on the Thunder, instead of Ign1.  I'm still battling these locked out fields in the software.  Where in the software can I assign this IGT input from the igniter to Ign2 instead?

Nevermind.  Figured it out.  I have to switch my Ignition settings for "Distributor" to OFF, before it will let me change the settings to Ign2 for my IGT input. 

With distributor ignition, the ignitor/coil must be wired to ign 1.  Note you can pull the pins out of the connector easy without tools to move to ign 1.  Push the white locking bar on the side in until it clicks then pull wire.

Ah, yes.  Spoke too soon!  It still won't let me. :)  I confused the software getting the Ign2 as the only active ignition channel, but it won't let me test that channel.  Good call on the wires!  I'll try that.  I wondered if it was that easy went I build Looms C, and D! :)

NOW SHES FIRING ON THE TEST!!!  Check the timing and see it she starts!!

Dang!  Not yet!  I must not have the triggers correct.  I used the settings from the ST185 base map, but I'm a bit confused by then.  Shouldn't Trigger 1 be a "crank" input for Multi-Tooth Posn and Tooth Count be 24 (for a 24 tooth trigger wheel in the distributor)?  I get trigger errors that way.  I don't get trigger errors when I set it to "Cam" instead, but I still don't get anything on the Trigger Scope.  Timing light is working though, so I know there is spark.  I can't set the timing either.  No matter what I change the field "Lock Ignition Timing to" to, nothing happens with the mark on the harmonic balancer.  If I change the setting for the Trigger angle, nothing happens either.  What could be happening here?

The gen2 3sgte has 3 trigger sensors in the distributer, a 24 tooth, a 2 tooth and a 1 tooth. The sensor is on the cam and so needs to be called cam, when it is set to crank the ECU is looking for 48 teeth per engine cycle (crank rotates twice as fast as the cams).

When doing a trigger scope don't click capture until after you've already started cranking the engine.

When changing values in the Trigger Calibration window make sure you press the enter key, the box should turn blue when you have done this.

1 minute ago, mattj said:

What is the 2 tooth sensor for?

The toyota factory ecu used the 2 tooth wheel to sync a little quicker.  With that strategy the crank only needs to rotate a max of 360deg before the sees a unique identifier from the combination of three sensors so the ECU knows engine position.  With our ecu it may need a max of 720deg before the ecu knows engine position.  

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

The gen2 3sgte has 3 trigger sensors in the distributer, a 24 tooth, a 2 tooth and a 1 tooth. The sensor is on the cam and so needs to be called cam, when it is set to crank the ECU is looking for 48 teeth per engine cycle (crank rotates twice as fast as the cams).

When doing a trigger scope don't click capture until after you've already started cranking the engine.

When changing values in the Trigger Calibration window make sure you press the enter key, the box should turn blue when you have done this.

Crazy.  That worked!  Thanks for the tip on cranking first!