Engine fan activation on EVO 9 causes big load; advice

TnF

Almost factory EVO 9; i've been said the fans are the originals.

I have 1st fan (engine fan 1) start at 75oC and 2nd fan which is the bigger aircon fan (engine fan 3) at 85oC.

The car has a slightly smaller battery than stock. When the 2nd fan is activate there is a huge drop of 1.5V due to the load on the engine.

If you check the log i should fix fueling in that area because it goes too lean, but this will not completely solve the problem.

A bigger battery and/or a capacitor/soft-starter could be used too.

My question is in the idle speed control there is the "Engine Fan Step" parameter. I had it at 5 steps then changed it to 10 steps but saw no change. I believe this is due to the 1st fan already being activated this correction is already applied and is not applied for a 2nd time. Is this correct?

If you know a better workaround please let me know

fan_prb.llg

Correct that the fan step will only be applied once when any fan is activated.  It would be pretty unusual to have fans turn on at such different temperatures, usually you want the fans only to turn on somewhere above the thermostat opening range.   Usually on the Evo the 2 condensor fans only come on with AC or in an extreme overheat situation, they are not normally needed for everyday cooling.  

You dont have idle ignition enabled so that can make a big difference if set up right.  

13 hours ago, Adamw said:

Correct that the fan step will only be applied once when any fan is activated.  It would be pretty unusual to have fans turn on at such different temperatures, usually you want the fans only to turn on somewhere above the thermostat opening range.   Usually on the Evo the 2 condensor fans only come on with AC or in an extreme overheat situation, they are not normally needed for everyday cooling.  

You dont have idle ignition enabled so that can make a big difference if set up right.  

yes that is correct, but it seems the big intercooler used in front blocks the airflow enough that i saw temps rise to 90oC standing idle and that was with the hood open (note we have ambient temps of 38-40oC here like now in summer). I have some plans on how to workaround it. Thanks for reminding me on the idle ignition, i just set up the car so i have such details to get fixed

If you want to add an extra fan step for fan 3, you could set the base position table to 3D, put virtual aux 1 on the Y axis.  Set up the virtual aux to turn on when the ign 4 fan is enabled.  Example below would remove 30steps from the base position when the fan switches on.

10VpNzp.png