Link G4 knock block + VVT issues

plox

Does the knock block need the knock window aux output to give DI &/or LED feedback? Ecu run time values show Err: DI Feedback which I haven't found a lot of info on. 

I went through freq/gain set up etc and could hear knock loud and clear, unsure if the LED was flashing but I didn't notice it. Subaru v3/4 G4 plug in, running an ez30r so the car has no spare AUX output (could put a switch/relay in for fuel pump and use that AUX for now). The knock block is only in for tuning so I'm not to concerned if it doesn't feedback to the ecu, but it would be good to know.

Also having vvt issues which I wouldn't mind an opinion on - RH has no signal which I'll try track down in wiring, and erratically getting 4 different LH errors. Is that what a shielding issue would cause?

Tune/Log attached

bg5 ez30 na tune 3.2.pcl Log 13-09-21 10;32;40 am.llg

Fixed RH wiring and that seems to work correctly. Played round with LH offset, still erratic errors.

Factory engine loom doesn't appear shielded so assume its not a lack of shielding issue? (LH is wired via the cars original cam signal so is shielded, but the cam earth is also used for something else (a temp sensor signal from memory)

image.png.d59c39c6f1608f084b618adb2b7edc9b.png

Log 13-09-21 6;49;41 pm.llg

Whats the 3 cam angles reported when doing the cam angle test?  Are they stable when you rev it?  Can you also do a cam angle test at fast idle with Aux 1 set to "test on" and not down the reported cam angles.

I dont think is is noise related since errors are counting up anytime the VVT is not locked out, even with no load, low rpm.  

Ok, two issues:

1. The 3rd tooth that should be around 550 but jumps to ~1050 or whatever sometimes suggests the tooth occasionally disappears.  I dont think it is a loose connection or similar causing it as it seems to always be that same tooth that disappears, the other two look reasonably stable.  So something fishy there, dont know if its the camshaft or sensor or something else?  You would really want someone with a scope to see what is going on.  I guess you could try swapping sensors side to side as a quick test.  
  2. In the 2nd test when you turned on the Aux 1, the camshaft should have moved to fully advanced, the reported cam angles should have all reduced by about 40deg but all cam angles stayed the same.  So that cam didnt move for some reason, are you sure you activated aux 1?  If you put aux 1 in test mode "engine off" do you hear the correct solenoid click? 

I'd already run a new wire as a test and same result. Then changed Trigger 2 filtering to 3 and the error seems to go away? Position is still not tracking with what's commanded, or when set to test on.

LH solenoid is audible, but sounds quieter and slightly different sound than RH with the same test. From memory they can have oil flow issues so ill pull the oil line off and make sure its flowing. Otherwise I'm thinking I'll test another solenoid, brother has the same engine so ill steal his solenoid for a test.

No oil flow issue, and swapped solenoids left to right and still LH not following target but RH was

Looks like I wired the LH avcs solenoid output to the "avls" solenoid(s) and vice versa, will switch those round tomorrow and report back.

Any idea on the knock error Err: DI Feedback?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the knock set up by temp wiring fuel pump to a switch. Avcs sorted too.

Started tuning but I am questioning the need for the dual fuel and Ing tables (base map in original post), cam profile & 2nd tables switch is rev/map based (>60kpa and >1500rpm). So the opposing areas in each table aren't being used anyway.

I'm wondering if each set of tables were tuned, dyno'd then picked the best cross over point but the cross over conditions effectively made the 2nd tables redundant, and could be merged into one.
Am I missing something?

You are correct, I rarely bother with two seperate fuel tables with switched cams as generally once you find the ideal switch point you leave it alone.  I generally get a rough fuel and ign map into it, do a power run with cam on and off to find the best switch point, set that up then tidy the map up around the switch point, sometimes you need to add another row or column if VE changes drastically.  

Two seperate fuel maps would be good if you had to regularly change the cam switch point for some reason - say for instance if on a certain track it needs to be changed to get around a problem shift point or similar.