Lambda error codes, Link Fury G4+

Pete_89t2

I've noticed lately in my logged run times that I'm getting Lambda 1 Error #16 (Heated too long), which is sometimes followed by Lambda 1 Error #24, which the help file essentially says to "contact your Link dealer" as a description. While it's doing this, the Lambda 1 Status is reading as "Operating".

Lambda temperatures when this happens seem normal, and they vary around 1430*F, +/- about 20*F typically. On an overnight cold start, I can see the Lambda temps smoothly & quickly increase from ambient air temp to the 1430*F temps once the heater kicks in.

Is this a sign that my WBO2sensor is failing, and what does the error #24 mean?

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

Error 24 means the current regulator has reached the limit.  It would typically indicate a failing sensor. 

It lambda 1 "run when stalled" set to no?  

Adam,

Just confirmed I have "run when stalled" set to "no".

Looking at the last log I have from a cold overnight start, below is the gist of the behavior. On this log, I only had the error #16, "Heated too long" show up, never had an error #24 show up.

@ 19.4 seconds after start, Lambda 1 status = "Heating", Lambda 1 Temp = 1225*F, Lambda 1 Error = "OK"

@ 19.5 seconds after start, Lambda 1 status = "Diagnostics", Lambda 1 Temp = 1236*F, Lambda 1 Error = "16 Heated Too Long"

@ 21.7 seconds after start, Lambda 1 status = "Calibration", Lambda 1 Temp = 873*F (why the drop?), Lambda 1 Error = "16 Heated Too Long"

@ 32.5 seconds after start, Lambda 1 status = "Heating", Lambda 1 Temp = 1144*F, Lambda 1 Error = "16 Heated Too Long"

@ 41.7 seconds after start, Lambda 1 status = "Diagnostics", Lambda 1 Temp = 1398*F, Lambda 1 Error = "16 Heated Too Long"

@ 43.6 seconds after start, Lambda 1 status = "Calibration", Lambda 1 Temp = 1398*F, Lambda 1 Error = "16 Heated Too Long"

@ 43.99 seconds after start, the Lambda 1 status = "Heating, "Diagnostics" & "Calibration" cycle similar to the above repeats itself a few times until...

@ 1 minute 2.4 seconds after start, Lambda 1 status = "Operating", Lambda 1 Temp = 1416*F, Lambda 1 Error = "16 Heated Too Long"; Lambda status remained at "Operating" for the remainder of the log (about 30 minutes of driving), and lambda temps ranged from 1416*F to 1458*F during that time.

UPDATE - I reviewed a 2nd log, with a longer duration (about 1 hour) but also starting the car from overnight cold. In that log, the behavior is essentially the same as my post above, but at approximately 38 minutes in, the Lambda 1 Error changed to "24", where it remained for the rest of the log, and Lambda Status remained at "Operating" as well for the rest of the log.

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

The error 16 is usually related to power supply.  How long and what size is the wire to pin 4 on the lambda sensor? If that appears acceptable for say 8A max, I think it would pay to try moving that to a different power source.

From pin 4 it's an 18AWG, M22759/32 spec wire run, maybe 3 feet long total to the WBO2 sensor from where the wire connects to the 14AWG switched ECU/power bus inside the wiring harness in the cabin. Didn't realize the heater circuit pulls as much as 8A, that could be my problem.

• 1 month later...

As an update to this topic, I've double checked the wiring harness wiring to pin 4, and I have good continuity and correct voltage on the pin when energized, so I doubt that power supply is the problem. I am now seeing Lambda 1 Error change from "16 Heated Too Long" to error "6", after about 30 minutes of driving instead of error "24". Lambda status still shows "Operating", and the lambda 1/Lambda average data looks OK.

Similar to error #24, the help file states error #6 = "Internal control error, no user actions can be taken to correct.  Report this to your Link distributor." What does error #6 indicate?

At this point I'm assuming my WBO2 sensor is bad, so I went ahead and ordered a new one, hopefully that will fix the problem.