Vi-PEC + PDM

WillM

I recently installed a PDM (RackPak SmartWire) to replace every fuse and relay in my car, and replaced every scrap of OEM wire to boot (thanks to Neel and the gurus at ApexSpeed for supplying a lot of the materials to get the job done!).

The SmartWire manual states Includes this warning:

Note: Most ignition and ECU systems require a direct main power connection.

This main power connection must go directly to the battery. DO NOT connect

the main power wire from these devices to the SmartWire outputs. Each of

these devices will also have a small wire requiring an ignition switched power

source. This small wire will connect to an output from the SmartWire.

How should my Vi-PEC V88 be powered?

Is it OK to supply both of the the Vi-PEC's +14 power leads (both red wires - Pin # 5 on the "A" connector and Pin #5 on the "B" connector), with a single output from the RacePak SmartWire PDM?

To date I am simply am running these +14 power leads directly to the kill (master disconnect) switch. I left the switch on one night, and the next day found the V88 warm to the touch.

Ideally, i would power the V88 from the PDM, which in essence would make it a switched output.

Thanks,

Will

Hi Will,

The V88 only requires the one power supply, on the wires you identified. Normally you would use a ignition switched power supply to these pins. If the PDM is acting just as a relay to supply the power it should work fine. However if the PDM were to cut power to the V88 while the engine was running, the V88 would shut down immediately.

Scott