Base timimg - fuel on or off?

thorns

Just going through my base timing.

Should I have the fuel turned off while setting initial timing, or at least ensuring i am in the ballpark before firing the engine?

Current timing light is flashing when I run an ignition test, but when i crank the car in calibrate mode i am getting no flash.   I do have main fuel turned off as didn't want to fire or flood the engine until I was sure I was close with base timing, so am wondering if that mayeb cuts the spark?   I also have the spark plugs out to make it easier for engine to crank while i muck around, is this possibly a cause of the problem?

Yes, best to have fuel off if you are going to be cranking a lot. 

Pull a plug out to confirm you have spark when cranking.  If no spark then confirm you have RPM and dwell showing in the software when cranking.  If not then there is a trigger issue.  If there is dwell and RPM but no spark then you have a wiring problem.

It would have been better to attach the scope file rather than pics, but judging from the info I can see I would say your arming thresholds are too high.  

Set them like below and you should have RPM and dwell.  If not, do another scope and attach the actual scope file.

GhC0KQU.png

Signal is coming through now, but you have an incorrect number of teeth.  You should have 24 trigger 1 teeth for every one trigger 2 tooth.  

Do you maybe have 4 teeth on trig 2?  If so you will have to grind 3 off so there is only a single tooth on trig 2.

49 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Signal is coming through now, but you have an incorrect number of teeth.  You should have 24 trigger 1 teeth for every one trigger 2 tooth.  

Do you maybe have 4 teeth on trig 2?  If so you will have to grind 3 off so there is only a single tooth on trig 2.

Does it matter which 3 are removed if I do have the 4 teeth trig 2?   Will pull the dizzy tonight and check it out.